Friday, December 4, 2009

The Name Game....


Perhaps you are wondering where the Sush comes from. It is my nickname from my father. I was called this by my father for most of my life. My maternal grandmother was called Bet, short for Betty, even shorter for Elizabeth. Her grandchildren always called her Bet or Gramma Bet. My paternal grandmother was called Grams. I knew there would never be another Grams or Bet and my Mom was Gramma. They were each one of a kind in their own right...and that would be another story another day.

When asked by my oldest son before the birth of his first child and my first grandchild what I wanted to be called, my first reaction was whatever my grandchild picks for me. That didn't go over very well so I thought long and hard...I mean really this is a name I was going to be for the rest of my life. Even your children start to refer to you as your 'grandmotherly name', as in, "Well, go ask Sush for some more juice!". Therefore I felt it needed to be a name I didn't mind hearing for the rest of my life.

At the same time all of the anticipation was building for this joyous event, my father's health was failing. I decided to honor him by choosing the name he had given me; the name I loved to be called...Sush. Now if you don't know how to pronounce it, it rhymes with push. It seems very Southern to me, but I am willing to bet there must be a Yankee or Midwesterner or West coast hip chick that is called Sush!

I will say when I told my father what name I had selected he was very happy and had a grin on his face that warmed my heart. I am a Daddy's girl, we all were. He had five daughters and treated us like princesses.

My husband chose Pop for his Grandfatherly name. His children call him Pop in a very affectionate way and he also often called his father, Pop. So now I refer to us as the Happy Meal grandparents, I just think 'Sush & Pop' sounds like a Happy Meal! But that is fine by me!

So, there you have it...why I am Sush...because my Daddy said so!

2 comments:

elise MIGNON hoffman said...

Okay, this one made me cry. Reading this just re-enforced my notion that papa daddy and gramma are smiling down on us.

Kristina said...

I love this! What a beautiful explanation, and what a beautiful relationship you had with you dad.