Monday, January 4, 2010

Pickled Okra Salsa

For holiday gifts this year for family and friends I made a new salsa. It was a big hit and really easy to make. The recipe makes not a large amount so I doubled it as I went along. Ended up making quite a few batches .


Adapted from: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1951489

I usually don't duplicate recipes, I always try to tweak them to give them my individual twist.
Here's my adapted version:

 Makes about 1 1/2 cups if following recipe

5 whole pickled okra sliced I used jar variety
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
4 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 (14.5 oz can) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, drained

1. Pulse first six ingredients and half of the tomatoes in a food processor a few times or until throughly combined. Stir in remaining diced tomatoes. Serve immediately or cover and chill. Store in refrigerator up to seven days. If refrigerated, let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.

For my friends that enjoy a spicier salsa I added the following.

1. Replaced the pickled okra with Hot Pickled Okra
2. In every batch, even the less spicy I added Crystal Hot Sauce...more drops for the spicier version and less drops for the milder. Season with the hot sauce to taste.
3. I also added a teaspoon more of fresh lime juice to every batch.

C'est Si Bon!



1 comment:

elise MIGNON hoffman said...

This is all nice, but I'd really like to see a video on your blog! :)