Tuesday, February 16, 2010

BLimey Good!

I love to share something special on Valentines Day with my family. I have the good fortune of having three of the children and their families living close enough to send delectable edibles. During her pregnancy one of my daughters-in-law fell in love with key lime flavored cup cakes while attending a party for a future daugher-in-law. I decided to try my hand in creating a batch for the Day of Hearts. They weren't the traditional pink or red colors of the day, but they were sweet and tangy! I also included as a valentine gift, a bottle of something 'spicy' to give a little kick to the day. Didn't hurt it was an official sauce of the New Orleans Saints! We love our Crystal Sauce in this household of relocated 'Nawlins Natives.


Children living out of town...your hot sauce will be coming. The Blimeys  don't travel well. I will make them for you the next time you come. Hurry home! I miss you!


Here's the recipe I adapted from * Bon Appetit magazine.

For the cupcakes you will need..

1 c all purpose flour
3/4 c self-rising flour
1/2 c *1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/4 c sugar
3 tblsp fresh lime juice
1 1/2  freshly grated lime peel
3/4 c buttermilk

Icing requires

1 8oz pckg cream cheese, room temp
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 c * 1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/2 tblsp finely grated lime peel
Dash of lime juice for flavor
1 generous tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line one standard size muffin pan or two mini muffin pans with paper liners. Blend both flours with whisk or fork in medium bowl. Set aside. Cream butter in large bowl until smooth, add sugar. Beat until creamy and blended. Add eggs while creaming one at a time. Now add the next three ingredients. Lime juice may make the batter look curdled. Don't worry. Beat in flour mixture alternating with buttermilk, having flour be last addition until creamy. Spoon into muffin pans to almost top of each individual muffin liner.

Bake cupcakes 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool ten minutes in pan. Remove and cool thoroughly on rack.

For icing, Beat all ingredients until smooth. I chunked up the butter and cream cheese to make them blend easier. Spread over cupcakes.

The response from the family was they were light and delicious. Melt in your mouth, sinful...Enjoy!

4 comments:

lisa said...

I am that daughter-in-law who developed a craving for key lime cupcakes! I have to say, that these were DELICIOUS!!! And, I loved that they were mini cupcakes. I love anything in miniature!

Sush said...

And I love YOU! So happy they passed the taste test!

Laura said...

So on Valentine's Day, I went into the kitchen to bake a can of cinnamon buns (in a heart shaped pan, of course) and found that the ceiling was dripping water in the middle of our kitchen island. Mike came in to investigate, and the further he went, the more puzzling it became. After a while, I suggested that he call Steve, since I knew that you all had survived the Waterwall Event. But Mike eventually located a pinhole in the bathroom pipes (right above our kitchen). So 7 hours later, with one small pipe repair and a 8'x2' hole in the ceiling, we were drip free. Happy Valentine's Day, Honey!
Laura Mc

Sush said...

I am impressed u have finished with your water event. We are still in the midst. Upstairs is closed in AMEN, but downstairs is wide open! Have to admit, we've been out of town or entertaining grandkids so excuses, excuses! Did you save the water for all those roses? Ahahahaha! Just like the ones I got? Ahahahaha!