Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Tribute To Elizabeth's Edible Experience

So there I was merrily blogging along and thinking I was doing fairly well. Even had a photo of my okra salsa and recipe in a posting. See January 2010. 


In preparation for the Saints in the Super Bowl I was online at nola.com and I see a link for an appetizer. Clicked the link and it brought me to this wonderful site. 


*Elizabeth's Edible Experience


Not only does she have fantabulous recipes, she gives step by step photos that are beautiful. Another plus for my reading enjoyment is she is another New Orleans transplant.  Her stories of her family make me homesick. You can read her story on her blog, I don't have the space or permission to write it all. 


Today I was looking for a recipe for the chicken breasts in my fridge. Found a really tasty looking one in 'River Road Recipes III A Healthy Collection'. Our wonderful daughter-in-law, Laura, is always cooking tasty, light recipes so I wanted to do my share. Thanks, for the inspiration Laura!


First, I made a quick salad using pre packaged mixed field greens with sweetened pecans, cranberries and a pear/gorgonzola dressing. My husband doesn't like 'cheesy' dressings so I made my own Pear Vinaigrette salad dressing. To the salad greens I added chopped canned pears in fruit juice.


For my salad dressing I mixed in a ratio of two parts oil one part vinegar (I have a pear infused vinegar that is fantastic). To that I added the juice from the canned pears. Whisked it in a bowl then put it in a cruet bottle. Steve said it was delicious! Yay!






Chilled the salad until ready to serve.


I am never able to just duplicate a recipe. I have to tweak and fiddle and make it my own. Not that the recipe in the cookbook didn't look delicious, I just wanted to use additional and different ingredients. Which I did. You can find the recipe in its original form in aforementioned cookbook titled, Cajun Cabbage Casserole.


Ingredients for my rendition:


Four boneless skinless chicken breasts
One medium head cabbage
One large sweet onion chopped
Two cups cooked rice (Next time I will use brown, pressed for time)
One package button mushrooms
Three cloves garlic minced
Green onion tops chopped 1/4 cup (more or less)
One can light cream of mushroom soup
One can light cream of celery soup
Worcestershire Sauce 1 tsp ( I'll increase it to one tablespoon next time)
Light Creole Seasoning 1/4 tsp (Next time I'll also add Crystal Hot Sauce, can we say Cajun?)
Panko Bread Crumbs enough to sprinkle on casserole as topping




Chop Cabbage into chunks




Place in lightly salted boiling water and cook until tender



Drain and reserve one cup liquid. Put cooked cabbage in lightly greased casserole. Chop onion, mince garlic, chop mushrooms and set aside.




On different chopping board than one used for veggies, chop chicken breasts into chunks. Lightly season with sea salt. In a non stick skillet *thank you Elise for my Christmas present...add enough canola oil to lightly cover skillet. Cook until chicken browns and leaves glaze in pan.



Remove chicken from pan, drain on paper towels. Next add chopped mushrooms, onions and garlic to skillet. On low heat, sautee until onions are clear and tender and caramelized.

Remove from heat. Add to cooked cabbage. 
Add mushroom soup and celery soup to cabbage mixture.


Add cooked rice to cabbage mixture.



Add worcestershire sauce and light creole seasoning. Add chopped green onion.


Lightly cover casserole with Panko Bread Crumbs and place in 350 degree oven. Bake for thirty minutes or until bread crumbs are toasty and casserole is bubbly.

5 comments:

Laura Hoffman said...

Oh my goodness this sounds delicious!!! Will be putting this in my stack of yummy recipes to try, soon. Thanks for posting this. :)

Sush said...

Yay! It was great, it made the house smell delicious and last night in the middle of the night Steve said,"I wish I could go get some more right now!".

lisa said...

Looks (and sounds) delicious, Susie! I love a good casserole!

Sush said...

Thanks, Lisa...I think I had more fun cooking it than eating it. All it needed were your biscuits!

Laura said...

I used to subscribe to a cooking magazine which had a monthly article that involve 5 ingredients or less. I considered most of them too complicated for my cooking skills. But I can sew a straight seam in a tube skirt, so if you need any straight seams, I will be happy to trade that for a casserole!