Friday, April 9, 2010

Buffalo Gals Won't You Come Out Tonight?


I am fairly sure that people in New York don't see the word Buffalo in recipes and think of anything other than spicy wings or spicy food of some sort. I see the word Buffalo and always think of the song, 'Buffalo Gals Won't You Come Out Tonight?'!  In fact when I found this recipe I knew it would be a great title for this posting.


So, today I went to my favorite fresh seafood market, selected a few pounds of the prettiest 'gals' on  ice and brought them right home.


We did eat after sunset this evening, unfortunately it was a tad too cold to dine Al Fresco, so we didn't dine or dance by the 'light of the silvery moon'. No matter where or when we dined we really enjoyed this recipe. I highly recommend it as another way to enjoy a delicacy from the sea...'schwimps'! 


I used Crystal Hot Sauce as it is my chosen hot sauce and the official hot sauce of the New Orleans Saints! LOL! I also used Brummel and Brown instead of butter, but that is a dietetic choice. I am going to try skipping the flour step next time, but I am afraid it is necessary to help the sauce 'cling' to the shrimp!


Buffalo Shrimp
Makes 4 servings
1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch sea salt
Olive oil spray
2 tablespoons light butter
1 tablespoon hot sauce (not a thin one) or more
Rinse shrimp and pat dry. In a large resealable bag add flour, cayenne, garlic and salt. Toss to combine. Add shrimp and toss thoroughly to coat them evenly. Shake off excess flour before placing in skillet.

Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, lightly mist the pan with spray and add the shrimp in a single layer, working in batches, if necessary.


 Cook until lightly browned on the outsides and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove cooked shrimp to a  bowl.

When all of the shrimp are cooked, turn off burner. Add butter or light butter and hot sauce to the skillet and, using a wooden spoon, stir constantly until the butter is just melted, being careful not to overcook. Return shrimp to the pan. Toss to coat them completely with the sauce. Season with additional hot sauce if desired. Let shrimp sit for 5 minutes and toss them again (sauce will thicken slightly and stick better after sitting). Serve immediately.
I cooked more than one pound of shrimp so I doubled the flour mixture and then the buffalo sauce mixture. I did not measure exactly the butter/hot sauce mix. I just let the hot sauce rip when i was adding it to the pan. Personal preferences should be considered in this step.


I served this over Arborio rice and steamed broccoli with lemon.


Now, go round up some of your favorite gals and enjoy this dish by the light of the silvery moon!



. . . . . . . .

5 comments:

elise MIGNON hoffman said...

This was SOOOOO GOOD... probably one of my new fav low cal but extra tasty dishes!!! So glad you kept this recipe and I agree in suggesting it to anyone who likes spicy food and of course you must be a shrimp lover! Five star dinner, Mom!

Laura said...

Can't wait to try this too...delish!!!! :)

Pop said...

Babe,
So nicely seasoned and such a tasty meal. I really enjoyed it. Keep 'em coming. Love you and your many talents.

Me

Sush said...

Mignon, Laura and Pop thanks for the love and thoughtful comments...here's my love right back to all...xoxox

lisa said...

I think Timmy would request these be made with a HEFTY tablespoon...and then he would be sure to add some more :)

Looks delicious!