Friday, June 18, 2010

Uncle Surfer Dude

I'm not sure how these 'only' children end up married to my siblings, but bless their hearts they do. And stay. Married to a spouse with a large riotous, often opinionated rarely subtle family. God Bless.


My youngest sister, Aimee, met the man of her dreams in Florida while attending college. Wayne is an honest to goodness, probably until the waves quit rolling, Surfer Dude. He grew up in New York, on Long Island in an original Levit House in Levittown and surfed for years on the Atlantic  Coast. He was an only child and when he finally met the entire clan I think it was culture shock. But the man gets millions of points for not only ignoring the rowdiness of the clan, but hosting fun and rowdy parties for us whenever family is in town. This is Wayne, quietly manning the grill for the crowd...perhaps seeking a moment of solitude?
 Wayne has been our IT, or very own personal 'Genius' for as long as I can remember. Now he is 'it' for sure, but I am talking computer IT in this instance. When PC's became the rage and we all needed help, Wayne was our man to call. I think his biggest nightmare came true when my Mother got her computer. He was on constant call to make it work. Even when the problem was connected to her access system and not software related, Wayne got the call. And responded. Ah, the good son...! Wayne and Aimee and their kids did the lion's share of taking care of my parents when they needed help in New Orleans. Even before they were in Assisted Living, they were on call and ever helpful and kind. I will never be able to thank them enough for that.


Now among many of Wayne's great talents,  he is a fantastic photographer.  We waste his talent on family pictures but appreciate it never the less. Aimee sent me a photograph of his that is just beautiful...
So although due to the crashing of the computer...(I'm sure he's thanking his lucky stars he's not living nearby and I can take this to the Genius at the Mac Store), this is a late birthday tribute to Uncle Surfer Dude, our own family computer Genius, professional photographer and hero to his family of women!
                                              Uncle Wayne
    A Belated...rather very belated May 29th belated, birthday with love                   

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool Dude - Cool Sister! I am cracking up laughing at Wayne's worst nightmare... Mom gets a computer... I'll bet he's laughing out loud too! Uncle Surfer Dude - new name!!! xoxo Ant Lee

Aimee said...

Ah my sister, what a wonderful tribute to your brother in law my surfer dude hubby. THe only thing is he grew up in NY, not New Jersey. He grew up in an original Levit house in Levittown on Long Island. Telling the world he grew up in Jersy is like saying mom was from CHalmette :-). LOL, you may want to correct that factoid if you want him to still speak to you. Love you lots! Aimee

Sush said...

@Aimee, OMG and Oh S**T! Well so what does a Southerner know about NJ and NY? And hey...my apologies to anyone from Chalmette reading this...my sister casts no aspersions your way I'm sure. Yes, consider it corrected and my apologies to Wayne and his relatives on Long Island. Can I explain by saying I am geographically challenged with anything north of VA and thought Long Island was NJ? Did he even surf on the Jersey Shore? LOL??? Well again..."Oh S**T".
Sorry Wayne, and I worked and thought so hard on trying to make it a real tribute. xoxo sush from Chalmette...

Aimee said...

All is fair in family love! It was really rather funny. Your sons', my nephew's favorite Uncle Wayne claim to fame is the time he swam with the whale while lifegaurding in NY. (not at Jones Beach, he was a town of Hempstead guard. Huge rivalry) I do not believe he ever surfed the Jersey shore. XXOO Aim