Monday, September 20, 2010

How Many How Much

Shel Silverstein was a children's poet. I believe his poetry was for children of all ages. One of my favorite poems is How Many How Much. I love the sentiment of the poem, however when I thought of its title what came to mind was family and  how many miles away from my hometown so much of us and our offspring have traveled.


Continuing a childhood theme...how about a Mouseketeer roll call for where everyone now resides? Shout out for: Arkansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Louisiana, Texas and Texas. Yep, two of my siblings now reside in Texas. Not in the same city but hey, they are both in the lonestar state. My sib in Louisiana has just recently moved back...I think with some mixed emotions. For much of her adult life she called the eastern mountains of Georgia home.


Our offspring, my children and my nieces and nephews are spread even further:
North Carolina, North Carolina, Washington, D.C., Virginia, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Minnesota, Minnesota, Texas, Texas, Texas, Texas. Yay Mickey Mouse clubhouse!


Life, like the mighty Mississippi that flows through my home town takes unexpected twists and turns. Sometimes storms blow unexpectedly in our lives, change the scenery completely. We move on, and build happy lives, some of us far from our birthplace, some to return.


If you haven't read Shel Silverstein's poetry, I suggest you do. I think he eloquently expressed so many aspects of every day life. I know his words touched me...


How Many, How Much 
` 
How many slams in an old screen door? 
    Depends how loud you shut it. 
How many slices in a bread? 
    Depends how thin you cut it. 
How much good inside a day? 
    Depends how good you live 'em. 
How much love inside a friend? 
    Depends how much you give 'em. 



Doesn't matter how far we go, how many miles we've travelled, we've got so much to be thankful for.  Families like friends have so much love inside them. So whether it's the words of Shel Silverstein you choose as inspiration, or perhaps one of my Mom's favorite expressions as a muse..."you get out of the cookie jar, what you put in". Go spread the love with family and friends. Doesn't matter how many, does matter how much!


Big cookie jar in my family, BIG COOKIE JAR!


Loves~Loves~Loves


*All For The Love Of Sam

2 comments:

Laura Hoffman said...

Love this post! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Help me, I fell in the BIG COOKIE JAR and can't get out! :) Ant Lee