Saturday, November 6, 2010

Fall Back

Yes, I am brazenly taking advantage of the Spring Forward - Fall Back slogan. I hope you remember to set your clocks back tonight.


In 'Falling Back', I'm going to give you, my readers...ok, ok, mostly my family...a look at my Halloween decorations on the new bookshelves, cabinets and mantle. Again kudos to Mr Jimmy J for his artistry and craftsmanship.


Take a quick look, cause in real life Halloween is gone and Thanksgiving (and my Turkeys) Rule The Roost. And YES, I can't wait to decorate this part of my home for Christmas. And yep, you will surely see a Christmas posting from my own little corner of the Southern/North Pole!


But back to Halloween; I have always loved Madame Alexander Dolls. When I discovered you could get them around Halloween in Mc Donald's Happy Meals I was over the moon excited. What's not to like about cheap fun? In my efforts to decorate the mantle AND a nod to one of my favorite authors, I've put out my Madame Alexander collection of Wizard of Oz, Fairytales, and my first time, Mc/Dolls, a Ballerina and Baseball Player. Hope you enjoy my collection and a few of my favorite Baum quotations. 


To get you started, how about a quote from Mr Oz himself,
" I can't give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma". 
The Oz Collection is displayed in groups as they most often appeared in the original movie. I strongly suggest reading all the L. Frank Baum collection of Oz. Great reading! My sisters and I used to perform skits often lifted from the pages of Oz books. 
Patsy, this post's for you!
Glenda and the Munchkin Land residents...Lollipop Kids behind her. 
L Frank Baum:
"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others.."
The Wicked Witch and her Flying Monkeys and Captain of the Guard, with the Wiz looking on.
 "It's so kind of  you to visit me in my loneliness." the Wicked Witch of the West.
Dorothy, Toto, The Cowardly Lion, The Tin Man and The Scarecrow...
"Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain...only straw.
Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't a brain?
Scarecrow: I don't know...but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking...don't they?"
              
              Transitioning from The Land of Oz...we have my Baseball Player and Ballerina
                           Standing next to Cinderella and Prince Charming! 
        Next up, The Big Bad Wolf and Little Red Riding Hood, Alice and The Mad Hatter
                                    Hansel and Gretel bringing an end to the Tales....        
                                                   
Decorating one of the  bookcases are my 'Graveyard' and 'Halloween House'. The two tombstones read, 'I Told You I Was Sick' and 'You Just Kill Me'! 
Twisted, yes I know, I know!


My son Tim wanted to know if I was one of those freaky doll collectors that won't let anyone play with the dolls. My theory...if you're old enough to reach my dolls from the mantle, you're old enough to play. In the meantime, I bought Lily her own set of Fairytale Dolls. And I DO have blocks in the cabinet below for all my little ones enjoyment!


L. Frank Baum: "To please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one's heart and brings its own reward."


Oh, and The 'Witch's Shoe' snowglobe? Yes, it plays, 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead'! 
That's all I have time for...gotta get my extra hour of sleep in. After all we will be losing sleep next Spring! 
Do have time for a parting thought from L. Frank Baum...


"Why, we've had a revolution, your Majesty--as you ought to know very well, replied the man; 'and since you went away the women have been running things to suit themselves. I'm glad you have decided to come back and restore order, for doing housework and minding the children is wearing out the strength of every man in the Emerald City.'
Hm! 'said the Scarecrow, thoughtfully. 'If it is such hard work as you say, how did the women manage it so easily?'
'I really don't know,' replied the man, with a deep sigh. 'Perhaps the women are made of cast-iron."


Now would someone PLEASE turn out the lights????
Like the character in an Oz book...Tick-Tock!


Loves~Loves~Loves

No comments: