Monday, November 1, 2010

Unexpected Surprises

It is my experience that very often the best things in life are unexpected surprises. The little moments in life that sneak up on you and say, 'Yes, life is good'. They are moments in time we learn to cherish. Unexpected happiness and joy can very often become lifetime memories. Here are a few that happened on of all days, yesterday's Halloween. Two of them I was able to capture on camera. The last one, I'll begin with. It was at my front door.


I have a very dear friend, Laura, who has raised two very wonderful children. Of course if they are now considered, 'raised'...yes no longer considered children. Her oldest daughter is now a mother of two herself. Not so very surprisingly she is busy raising two very wonderful children herself. And the matriarch of them all was an amazing, strong and loving woman. Appie is what my friend's family called their matriarch. I think my friend's daughter gave her the name. I've always felt Grandmothers' names evolve. The kids start off trying to pronounce one word and in their precious, precocious manner give it an endearing twist that lasts a lifetime. Anyway, back to my story. This family has been through some very hard life experiences. Starting with the loss of their lodestar, Appie, several years ago. My friend is battling cancer in a manner that is breathtakingly inspirational and brave. No surprise there, she was raised by Appie, afterall. This summer her daughter was faced with a lifealtering battle of her own. Her oldest son, Jay, needed heart surgery. Not any simple in and out procedure. They nearly lost him several times. In the manner of the women of Appie's family, she was stalwart, braving the battle with the grit of her Grandmother and Mother. What does this all have to do with my unexpected surprise?


Last night, after the first hallmark cries of Trick-or-Treat, I was greeted at the door by a very large group of Halloween delights. Front and center at my door was 'Bob-the-Builder', his Dad, Mom and little brother...The Rocker. On any other day 'Bob-the-Builder', goes by the name of Jay. Yes, I was given the most wonderful of unexpected surprises...a visit from this brave family. On the mend and doing the wonderfully all American once-a-year tradition of Trick-or-Treating. At my door! Now, Bob/Jay looked adorable in his costume and had wonderful manners. When offered the opportunity to take whatever he would like from my bowl of treats, he chose only two items. One for himself and one for his brother. How many two year olds do you know with such control? Not many, I'm thinking. My unexpected surprise couldn't stay long Halloween,  other doorways beckoned. It didn't help there was a  long line behind them waiting for their turn at my door. So I had to bid them adieu. Sigh. But oh how unexpectedly delightful.


Life can be so very, very good.


Now for the other two unexpected surprises. Actually they were at the same location, same day. Again on Halloween. They began earlier in the day. I was invited to come visit my granddaughter, Lily. When we got there Lily was busy staying close to her Daddy. Her Man. No one comes between Lily and her Dad. It doesn't always happen when company is around, but sometimes she will allow him to put her down and she will get involved in play. Yesterday afternoon she showed us one of her newest activities. She gets inside the built-in cabinets and plays peek-a-boo. Take a 'peek' of your own...
Which door will Lily choose?
Now the tour of the cabinets begins...
And she's on the move again...
We see you Lily...


Boo!
I could have played this game all day...but Lily had some other unexpected delights for me...it was time to get ready for Halloween Trick-or-Treating. Lily's Uncle Robert, her Mom Lisa's brother went to China last summer on business. He returned with Lily's costume...what does every All American girl turn into for Halloween?
                                                           A CHINA DOLL
It took a while for Lily to warm up to the complete costume.
Lisa, who knows her daughter so very well, suggested we bring the party outside. Lily loves the outdoors! It didn't take long for Lily to agree to the entire package of being a very adorable China Doll!


Maybe this is a good thing, Lily...
But, I'm wondering if you like the hair?
Thinking, thinking...maybe not?
But after all, every girl knows it has to be a complete ensemble...so she does some thinking...some moving around to give it a little thought. Change of scenery helps...
And, yes, OK! It should be a complete ensemble...
But Lily does know, as every Fashionista does. It's all about the shoes!

So thank you Tim, Lisa and Lily. I loved my Unexpected Surprises yesterday! 
Yesterday, all day, life was full of wonderfully wonderful Unexpected Surprises, and very, very, very good!

I wish for you many of your own...

Just a thought...is it an Unexpected Surprise if you ask for picture of your Grandsons in costume and actually someone sends them? Just thinking...

Loves~Loves~Loves

3 comments:

Jen Foster said...

How happy I am to have been able to contribute to one of your surprises! Love the post and love calling you a friend.

lisa said...

I love it! The pictures of Lily opening the cabinets is too funny. So glad to have you and Aunt E over to see Lily in her Halloween ensemble :)

Sush said...

Thank you ladies...two lovely comments from two lovely gals!
Love you both
xoxox