Thursday, May 26, 2011

One Enchanted Evening...

A concert Pavillion on the river front in New Orleans, summer 1984. My date for the evening was a true Southern gentleman and a gentle man, my Father. We dressed in our finest as we were going to attend a performance by my favorite violinist, Itzhak Perlman. The air was redolent with that salty tang from the Mississippi River that mingles with petroleum fumes and magnolias in the most delightful way. We were blessed with a coolish evening for the performance. Summer in New Orleans is very often staggeringly hot with humidity that bowls you over; this night was not one of those nights. Stars twinkled in a midnight blue sky, the Mississippi River bridge lights were strung like a twinkling necklace across the span.

Mr Perlman lifted his Stradivarius violin and stroked from it notes that could lift you to the highest of highs and tear at your soul with the most plaintive sighs. I was taken to a place I had never been and yet to return to. It was sheer magic! The riverboats would sound a horn now and then and it added to the music of the night. At the end of his performance fireworks were set off on barges in the river. They soared into the sky along with my happiness.

This was a very Enchanted Evening. It was a gift given to me by two very wonderful men in my life. My dear husband who stayed home with the four boys and my wonderful father who gave me his love of classical music from an early age and kept nourishing it throughout my life.

I wish such a night for you...

Loves~Loves~Loves~

5 comments:

Thisisme. said...

Oh, what a beautiful night you had! You described it so well, that I was right there with you. You write beautifully and how wonderful that you shared that special evening with your dad. I had one such night, when I went to the Verona Opera Festival in Italy. It was magical!

Sush said...

Thisisme...oh what a glorious night for you! I will dream, perchance one day it will happen! What Opera might I ask? I used to usher at the operas in New Orleans so I could be there for free! What a delight to be at that Festival...life time memories to treasure!
Hugs~

Thisisme. said...

Me again. There were two operas that evening. Aida and Rigoletto. The settings for Aida were magnificent. You don't get what to choose. It just depends what is on during any particular year.

Sush said...

Dear this...wouldn't matter now would it...just being there, if only...!
Loves~

Shelly said...

Now that is a once in a lifetime evening, my friend; one for the recordbooks. How very special it was to be with your dad and get to enjoy such lovely music.