Monday, July 18, 2011

Generations...


Simply lovely. Our granddaughter was baptized yesterday and it was one of those moments in time when I really felt Heaven and all of Glory were smiling and blessing us all. I could almost see my Grams and Mother and Dad smiling and sharing the very special occasion. What really helped bring them closer was seeing Lily wear the gown my Grams made for my Dad. It was first worn some 91 years ago, then lovingly wrapped and saved for future generations. Grams presented it to me after the birth of my first child. I knew this was going to continue to be a family heirloom.  She had tatted the lace trim, embroidered and pin-tucked the dress by hand. For my son's Christening she made a slip for under the gown, as she couldn't find the original. Each of my children have worn this gown and slip when they were christened and Lily is the third of the grandchildren to be baptized wearing the gown. 


Enjoy the photo gallery. I only wish I knew for sure if the picture of my Grams holding my Dad as an infant is the same dress as the one she gave me. He's wearing a sweater over the the gown so I can't see the top. If it isn't it is the one she gave me, it is one she gave my sister for her babies. She had saved two of her special gowns she hand made. I like to think this is THE ONE. I also have a  photograph of Lily's Daddy wearing the gown when he was christened.  The rest are all Lily. Lily and her Mom and Lily and her other Grandmother. *I was busy with the camera! 

Thank you Grams...you have blessed generations with your love and talent. Love always...







Grams and my Dad
Me, Tim(Lily's Dad) and Pop

God Bless Lily...


                                                              God Bless
Loves~Loves~Loves~

14 comments:

Desiree said...

Such beautiful pictures, Sush! Lily is a little Angel! It was so special seeing the pictures of both your Dad at his Christening and Lily's Dad at his, all wearing "the dress". What a charming family tradition!

Shady Del Knight said...

Now I am the one with tears in my eyes, Sush. There is nothing as precious to me as a child and these pictures of Lily are priceless. This is a tradition with profound meaning and Lily is very fortunate to belong to such a loving, caring family. I pray that she will enjoy a long, happy life.

Sweet Tea said...

I'm so glad you posted these lovely photos. I was telling mister about this special christening dress that was made by your Grandmother and used for your Dad, your children and now the Grandchildren. What a lovely story. Your little Granddaughter is beautiful BTW, course I know you already knew that. May God's blessing be on this sweet child as she grows up.

Thisisme. said...

Hallo my friend. What beautiful, angelic photos from you today. Lily is absolutely beautiful and looks so pretty in that very special christening gown. What a wonderful day for you and your family, and thank you so much for sharing it with us. We are blessed indeed!

orchid said...

Hi, Sush♪
Oh, that is the TRADITION of your country!!!
Yes, Lily sure is an angle with the precious gown♡♡♡♡
WONDERFUL DAY for all of your family, thank you very much for sharing these lovely pictuers. I loved the old pics as well♫♫♫

PS> Oh, thank you very much for your words to my country. I appreciate the way your press covered about it.

Lots of hugs and Love, xoxo Orchid.

Barbara F. said...

Blessings to Lily who truly looked like a little angel on her baptism day. Family heirlooms are so special. xo,

Pat MacKenzie said...

What a precious little girl - she looks so sweet in the heirloom dress. I kept saying in my head "now take it off before it gets torn or dirty".

lisa said...

These beautiful pictures and kind words from you and your friends just bring tears to my eyes.

Chatty Crone said...

Those pictures were beautiful - God Bless her too - Always - she is so precious.

Life 101 said...

Wow! Talk about "turn a page". I know your heart must have swelled with joy.
Beautiful child, and a beautiful post.
R

Shelly said...

What a lovely, beautiful post. It truly made my soul smile. I love to read about connecting the generations. There is so much value in our heritage. Thank you for sharing!

karen said...

I meant to comment on the lovely christening gown and family occasion in this post - you can read it under the previous post - sorry! Beautiful little granddaughter!

yaya said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Sush! I'll follow you too...my Brother used to live in NC and my Son and his wife moved last year from Simpsonville SC to Grand Rapids, MI..going from lovely climate to freezing! What a cute Grandkiddo you have and how wonderful that her baptism dress is an heirloom. Looks like a lovely day and I think your blog is really fun too..like mine, it's all about family! Love it!

Kathi said...

How precious... and meaningful... I can see you all felt wrapped up in love! Great documentation of time... marching on... full of people who shape who we are... Thanks for sharing!