Sunday, July 31, 2011

Happy Birthday Thing Two

So this pretty young 'Thing' was born three years after me. Our Dad had a favorite book he loved to read to us when we were young. I think it was a favorite in millions or gazillions of households. I think the author probably had more books on the bookshelves of our generation than any other author of the day. Dad, after reading and re-reading The Cat In The Hat started calling me Thing One and my younger sister, Sally, Thing Two. Not that we would create chaos in the household to the degree of those two THINGS! But we were lovers of all things Seussical!


What I don't like about growing up is not living in the same city as my siblings. I think there does reach a point in everyone's life it is best we all have separate homes. I wouldn't want us to be a docudrama which might happen if we were to try that as adults! But having the ability to hop in the car, toot the horn and have a sister or brother come join me for a day of fun and chaos would be nice. Sadly, it isn't so. In fact I hate to actually count the years it has been and sadly it has been years since I've seen Sally. Which serves as a very roundabout way of explaining why I don't have a more current picture of this pretty lady than what I offer here. I must admit I haven't seen her wearing an antebellum gown in a few years anyway, bwahahaha!


I also used to love throwing around the older sister status. Not so much anymore. She gets the last laugh. Age before Beauty but Beauty was a horse sort of status now...grr! I'm hoping we get a family/sibling at least reunion going this year. It gets to be rather hard to nail us all down to one date. Everyone has so much going on in life, but nothing should stop us from meeting at least once a year. Right, sibs? 


Okay, soap box stand removed...blessings of the day to my compadre in all things Thingish! Don't do anything I wouldn't do, so that leaves it wide open! Happy Happy Birthday and


Loves~Loves~Loves~

19 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Happy birthday and you know what? Just jump in the car next weekend and pay her a visit, I'm sure she'll be happy!

Sush said...

Hi Claudia,
Thanks for the thought...it would be grand! Unfortunately we live 17 car hours apart. I've had three back surgeries, she's had one and it inhibits lengthy car travel. We are all working on a 'middle' place to meet!

Hugs~

Shady Del Knight said...

Happy birthday to sister Sally! I'm sure she gets your message of love loud and clear, Sush. When I moved 850 miles south of my hometown in 1984 I left behind all friends and family, everybody that I knew. It was frightening but it was what I needed. Years sometimes pass between visits with my loved ones but it's a small world after all thanks to technology. I had an enjoyable Skype call with a family member a few days ago and it's just like sitting in the same room with them. Happy Sunday to you, dear friend Sush!

yaya said...

My Sis and I don't live in the same town either and we hate that! She's a mere 6hrs away and so we do see each other about 4 times a year and we talk all the time. I'm the older one also and it does suck! Hope your Sis has a great day!

Odie Langley said...

Happy Birthday to Sally from Odie in NC. I am blessed to have both of my sibs close to me even though I only see one of them on a regular basis. Both of my sisters are younger than me and I meet my youngest, Linda every tuesday at McDonalds for breakfast to catch up what has been going on in our lives. My other sister Marie either works too hard for a CPA doing taxes or is traveling to the foothills to visit her first grandchild. I don't have Skype but like Shady said it would be like being in the same room so why not get it since it's free and stay in touch with Sally? It's an idea.
Take care and have a great week.
Odie

Shelly said...

Sisters are wonderful and I feel so blessed to have mine living near me. I really do hope you and Sally can get together soon- where there's a will, there's a way!

kneesandpaws said...

Dear Sush, I was thrilled by your comment on my blog today and so excited to have a fellow transplanted North Carolinian to share in this blogging journey. The salvage place we found is called Archetectural Salvage of Greensboro. I can't wait to check out the place you mentioned! And I look forward to reading your wonderful blog on a regular basis. It's so nice to meet you!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness - Happy Birthday to your sister and yes I hate that families move apart.

orchid said...

Happy Birthday to your sister Sally♬♬♬
Oh, I hope you two can see each other really soon.
Hugs and Love, xoxo Orchid

Sweet Tea said...

Like Nike says, "Just Do It!
Life is short so make it a priority.
You don't want to have regrets and I think I'm hearing you say you already have some regrets. Right?
I hope you'll make it happen, and soon!

Ninny said...

Hi Sush,
Isn't it funny how we consider our bloggy buddies "friends?" I tell my husband things about other blogger, too! You know, Faded Roses (blog) is my sister, my OLDER sister, and we're such best friends! Looks like you had fun on the beach.

Liz

Thisisme. said...

hAPPY Birthday to sister Sally!! I'm an only child so, unfortunately, do not have any siblings. I would love to have a sister as I now get a little older in life (notice I said a "little" older!!). It's such a shame that you haven't seen each other for so long. I really do hope that you can work something out to meet up before the winter sets in again!

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Happy Birthday sister Sally.

You are lucky to have a sister Sush, I wish I did, would be nice to have one.

Take care.

Sush said...

Thank you everyone for your lovely birthday blessings to Sally! We had a semi-group family chat last night for her birthday and are looking to see when/where we can all meet. We had been getting together almost once a year for weddings or funerals the last four years. The funerals were never happy occasions but it did get us together. My two sons were the last weddings and it will be a while before any other weddings. I really don't want another funeral to be why we get together. We are thinking maybe in the fall for the JDF walk for my niece and nephew.
I do talk with all five of my siblings, it's just not the same as getting a chance to hug and hold each other.
Loves to all~

LittleSilkDress said...

Thank you for the follow and birthday wishes! It's nice to meet you!

Pat MacKenzie said...

Happy birthday to your sister. I have one sister who is eight days less than a year older than me. We used to have joint birthday parties (when we were really young) on the half way mark. We've become good friends as we've grown older but she lives 13 car hours from me so I only see her once in awhile. I'm going to visit her (flying) in September.

Sush said...

Little Silk Dress...thanks for stopping in I hope to see you again!

Pat MacK...sounds like a great visit is coming your way in Sept...have fun!

Desiree said...

What a gorgeous photograph you shared of Sally. It is especially hard when families live on different continents as mine do, but I feel so privileged to be living in the modern electronic age with SKYPE, emails and sms-ing at our disposal as it helps to keep us instantly in touch. I hope you do manage to have your get-together!

First House on the Right said...

I loved that book too, very cute that your dad called you Thing One and Thing Two. Nicolex