Monday, July 11, 2011

Saga of the Hollow Legs and Other Summer Adventures

Isn't it wonderful when the phone rings and it is a request to do something you love? I had just that experience last week. My son called and he and his wife had unexpected changes in their work schedule...as in they thought they were off work but were called back to duty for a few days. Would I be able to sub for them as the boys were  spending that week free of scheduled activities/child care. Would I? Well let's just think...Me and my two darling grandsons with no interference from parents and aunts and uncles? Right on!


They arrived with a suitcase, wondering if they could have a sleepover along with the visit. As we are currently in the midst of some home renovations I prefaced my 'Of Course', with the fact they would have to sleep downstairs as the three bedrooms upstairs are currently in use for either storage or reno project or as our temporary sleeping quarters. The boys and their Dad said it wouldn't be a problem as they sleep upstairs and their parents sleep downstairs, so indeed they are used to such sleeping arrangements. Game On!


We mostly played inside that day, it was hot and sticky outside. We had lots of time with trucks and cars. Trey managed to 'skunk' his Sush while playing the Curious George Memory Game!
Although I had been advised the grandsons had been fed a late breakfast, around elevenish AM or so it was asked if they could have a mid-morning snack. What Grandmother says no to hungry grandsons? Not this one! Like a lot of things in my mind at this time of my life I had forgotten what it is to feed growing boys. I have no excuse for it. I raised four sons. My husband used to constantly remark how he would rather 'clothe them' than 'feed them' any day of the week! I would reply, 'too bad you don't get a choice...we do both'! Needless to say, my memory was jauntily jogged...they eat like Hobbits; Elevenses...etc!


So, I break out the peanut butter and crackers. Then I'm asked for some bread and jelly to go along with the peanut butter. Reasonable request, of course. Hmm, something to drink? Milk, yes! Cheese...perhaps American squares for Trey and shredded cheese for Peter? Could we have two sandwiches, Sush? Well sure my sweet boys! Could we have those roll up things with turkey and filled with cheese? Certainly! How about some pumpernickel bread to go with that? Oh and those peaches on the counter, could we have some fresh peaches? Perhaps you are now seeing where the saga of the hollow legs had its genesis. 


Bellies and hollow legs temporarily full we watched a few of their Backyardigan shows we had dvr'd. I then asked the boys if they would mind running a few errands with me. I needed to visit the cleaners and drop off a walloping load of wire hangers for recycling and pick up some cleaned shirts. This was around three in the afternoon. After the errands were run the request then was for another 'snack'. Just a little something from the Mc Donald's in plain view. Wellll, ok! As we journey into the parking lot the hollow legged pair asked if they could play in the indoor playground. As the temperature outside was currently close to 97 degrees and humidity about the same it sounded like a reasonable request and activity. Thus inside we went. And ate. Another meal. First supper, perhaps? And they then indeed they did play and climb and laugh and met other kids to run and play with. I must clarify, these two boys are of normal weight or slightly less. Like all little ones they just burn a zillion calories a day!


On the way home I got a phone call from their Aunt Elise inviting them to come visit her at work. As she recently started back working at the Kitchen and Bath Design Shoppe where she interned while in college the boys were thrilled to see where Aunt Elise worked! Equally thrilling were trips in and out of bath tubs and showers sprinkled around the showroom. And the torquoise retro refrigerator that just happened to be stocked with water bottles for their enjoyment. I mean it had been at least fifteen minutes since they'd last had a refill! The cherry on that cupcake of a visit was getting to flip the open sign to closed and inviting their Aunt to join them for dinner. I think their legs were starting to twitch again...


Yes, we went home...Trey tossed the baseball with 'Pop', had several home run swings of the nerf bat and ball for Peter and then it was time to dine...again! Hollow legs, you understand? So we went to their fav-o-rite place after the Golden Arches. Moes. 'Welcome to Moes'!
Well, really...there is something to be said for a Moo Moo Mr Cow meal served in a frisbee!


We returned home for baths and pj's. As the two were standing on the landing to the steps that led to where they would sleep, the youngest says, "Uh, Sush...we don't have TWO downstairs at our house"! Suddenly what sounded great in the daytime was seeming a tad scary. I laughed and said oh it must be the same amount of stairs...go find Pop. And as they went in search of their grandfather I dashed down to the lowest level turning on every light I could find and turning down bed covers and placing their favorite sleeping lovey of choice on their pillow. Whew!


We watched about ten minutes of America's Got Talent, went into the bedroom, tucked the hollow legged children in bed. Stories were read and promises of lights kept on and grandparents keeping vigil in the adjacent room. Out like a light! Uh, the boys that is. We lasted a few minutes longer! But not by much...


Stay tuned for Saga of the Hollow Legs Part Two!
Loves~Loves~Loves~

8 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

The eating part was so funny! They do have an apetite!

Laura Hoffman said...

What a sweet, sweet post. I loved reading about the adventures with Trey and Pete. What a special bonding time for the 3 of you :)

Chatty Crone said...

What a n interesting story of your life and your grandsons - sweet!

Thisisme. said...

Lovely post about the visit of your two little grandsons!! That was really funny about them eating so much. My two youngest grandchildren are the same when they come down to me. They just don't stop eating!! I guess they're both going through a growing spurt! Look forward to reading part 2 of this delightful tale!!

Sweet Tea said...

So who's having the most fun, you or the hollow-legged boys?! I'll be watching for the next blog installment.

Odie Langley said...

My grandsons are 3 & 5 and don't seem to devour that much now but I am sure it will increase with age. This was an awesome post my friend.

Desiree said...

You sound like the perfect grandmother to your two little munchkins. You clearly take delight in the whole package and how lucky they are to get to spend time with you.

First House on the Right said...

Just wanted to say hi and thank you for dropping by my blog :) It's always so lovely to make new blogging friends. Nicolex