Thursday, August 4, 2011

Where I'm From

This posting is inspired by Knees and Paws  that was inspired by Bigger Picture Blogs. You are invited to participate in the process as well. 

I've been struggling with a posting that felt fresh and new. I have yet to post pictures from the beach other than the turtle nests. Those will be coming...oh now do I hear some grumbles? I'll break them into smaller viewing posts. For now I really enjoyed working with the Where I'm From concept. I hope you enjoy and give it a try yourself. Hugs and Loves~Loves~Loves.
                                              ~Where I'm From~

I am from sailboats, fish hooks, crab nets and paper dolls, from Luzianne Tea and French Market Coffee with Chickory.

I am from the house with upstairs French doors that open to the slowly rusting, scaling wrought iron balcony. The sound of a train horn blending with Church bells to mark the time of day.

I am from oak trees laden with resurrection fern and Spanish moss, creamy fragrant magnolias secreting tales of lonely young children.  

I am from table grace is holding hands and saying Loves~Loves~Loves~ I am from Bet. “Be useful as well as decorative”...I am from Peckie. Tosca and Gilbert and Sullivan…I am from Bill. Flowers and Fauna, I am from Florelle.

I am from kitchen counter chats that start late in the night and run into the dawn. Rowdy table discussions just for the sake of making one think led by the chief baton merde!

From a dueling heritage that shot and killed a Bienvenue and from the founders of Detroit Pewabic Pottery.

I am from Mary Baker Eddy lite and  becoming a Catholic Christer. Scripture and God found in nature’s bounty and glory.

I am from New Orleans and Cajuns and Grosse Pointe demoiselles. From beignets and boiled crabs and New England boiled dinners I tried to like but never did.

I am from Paw Paw who made wine in his basement to the dismay of  Grams and the Sunday school superintendent. I am from Mac, gentleman farmer crooner of the Whiffenpoof song.

I am from summers on Florida's sugar white beaches, sailing on Bay St Louis and the murky water of Lake Pontchatrain. I am from salt of the earth and strong willed women. I am from magical people with tears well hidden. I am from sisters and a brother as close to me as my hands and feet…in step and out.


25 comments:

Shelly said...

What a lovely picture you paint with your words. A masterpiece!

Barbara F. said...

Great post, Sush, very well written. I am fascinated with Catholic Christer. Can I find out more some place? xo,

Shady Del Knight said...

I'm flabbergasted, Sush! That is very artfully written, so much so that you should frame those words and hang them on your wall for daily inspiration and affirmation. It's great to learn more about you, dear friend!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear little sister, I'm crying again! Love You! Lee

Sweet Tea said...

WOW!
That was beautiful, GF!!
I loved learning all that about you. Great stuff.
(can you hear me applauding?)

Chatty Crone said...

I really enjoyed the way you wrote the story about yourself. Quite interesting....

Sush said...

>Shelly...thank you, it was throughly enjoyable to compose..

>Barbara F., I'm afraid a Catholic Christer is a term made up by my children when they were young. It was what they called people who only came to mass on Christmas and Easter...not something one should aspire to I'm afraid.

>Shady, what kind words, you make me smile. I can only take credit for completing the assignment. It's sort of like mad libs for life...lol!

>Anonymous Lee...it was really wonderful to compose. Go to the site and do one you will really enjoy it. I love you back xoxox! LLL

>Sweet Tea...was that you I heard? I thought it was ice clinking in a glass of sweet iced tea!

>Chatty...It is a composition task of sorts I discovered on Knees and Paws, well she led me to it. Anyone can create a similar one about themselves!

Bethe77 said...

WOW! Amazing write filled with so much love and thought. What a wonderful inspiritation. I agree with Shady Dale Knight it should be framed and hang to inspire daily.
Blessings

orchid said...

Oh, how wonderful to know you better and what a marvelous writing!!!
Yes, really inspiring and enjoyed reading this.
Thank you very much♪♪♪
Lots of love and Hugs xoxo, Orchid.

Raindrops and Daisies said...

That is just wonderful.

I enjoyed it so much.

Well done you.

~Fiona

Thisisme. said...

I know what you mean about struggling to find something different to write about!!! That was a lovely piece of writing if I may say so my friend, and such a good idea for a post. Well done!

Pat MacKenzie said...

That was incredibly beautiful and moving. It made me want to be there beside you and see all of the things and people you are from. Gives the romantic south a new meaning for me. You are one talented lady.

Kathi said...

That really was beautiful! True. It should be beautifully framed and placed in a prominent place in your home.....

I am all for defining who you are. And where you've come from. And celebrating.

Catherine Ensley said...

Absolutely beautiful writing! And I am also in love with your area. Was there for a visit in the late 90's and would love to return.

EmptyNester said...

Well done!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I'm your newest follower!

Desiree said...

This is SO BEAUTIFUL, Sush! Very poetic and it conveys such intensity of emotion...your pride in where you are from comes through strongly.

kneesandpaws said...

Sush, I was thrilled that you joined in the fun! And your version is wonderful! I agree that having this displayed in your home is a lovely idea. What a beautiful memoir. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

That was beautiful...and you should share with your sisters and brother!

Life 101 said...

From beignets and boiled crabs -----you gotta love it!
Very nice post.

Claudia Moser said...

Very nice post indeed!

Sush said...

>Bethe77...how very kind of you to say such lovely things. I enjoyed working with the concept and the memories it evoked.

>Orchid...so happy to see you back again...I hope you all are still celebrating your victory and recovery is going well. Lots of love and hugs right back to you dear friend.

>Raindrops and Daises...I always get a smile when I see you've dropped in. Thanks for the cheer..

>Thisisme...it has been a struggle lately, I'm still working on finding inspiration. I'd love to see what you would share with a similar composition of your own creation...so Devonish?

>Pat MacKenzie...ahh the land is very romantic and filled with many tales...thank you for you lovely and kind thoughts.

>Kathi...one of my goals in starting the blog was to share where I'm from, so this was a unique way, thanks for the kind words...

>Catherine Ensley...you made my heart sing with your kind words. One visit to New Orleans is never enough to see all the grand old dame has to offer! Return...

>Empty Nester...welcome and we'll just have to keep feathering the nests with words of love and I have found my nesters return verrry often..doesn't stay empty for long!

>Desiree...so great to see you back! I hope Noodle is doing well and I'm eager for some beautiful photos soon...

>Knees and Paws...I can't thank you enough for leading me to such a fun and rewarding composition. I loved yours and felt inspired by your touching composition..

>Linda@Lime In The Coconut...thanks so much for the kind words and I know some of my family has been able to read it. Haven't heard back from all of them yet...

>Life 101...I am always inspired with the postings and how you evoke such vivid imagery. Thanks for your kind words!

>Claudia...oh you...your photo Haiku was fantastic! You inspire me as well...

Ann said...

Oh that is one heartwarming post.

love it, I enjoyed reading the words and what a lovely artwork ♥

Sush said...

>Ann thanks for stopping in...your welcome to visit/follow whenever. The artwork was painted by a dear friend's brother. It is the actual home I grew up in, before Katrina filled it with 12 feet of water...

Christine said...

I have seen you on my sister's blog and was thrilled to hear from you. I love your blog and will definitely follow along your life's journey.

karen said...

That was lovely. I feel as though I've met you and studied your family history. You are truly a mixed bag - as most of us are - with many extremes, contradictions, and yet it all meshes into a beautiful story - a song of the south if you will - that was well told.