Friday, September 16, 2011

And This Is New Orleans...

After my post about LSU football I found this article written by Chris Rose, a columnist for the New Orleans newspaper, The Times Picayune. The article was featured in this blog. It helps explain my heritage with humor and color. I hope you enjoy....and the blog is host to a wealth of New Orleans tidbits!
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was scheduled to post this and then life interrupted with my Sweethearts's dang Rock that lodged in his innards. The blog I found this on is called Seersucker and Sazeracs; linked above. I was quite taken by the title as those are two words that remind me of my wonderful Father. So without any more delay I present to you in words I only wish I could have said better. 


Dear America, 
I suppose we should introduce ourselves: We're South Louisiana... You probably already know that we talk funny and listen to strange music and eat things you'd probably hire an exterminator to get out of your yard. We dance even if there's no radio. We drink at funerals. We talk too much and laugh too loud and live too large and, frankly, we're suspicious of others who don't... we love South Louisiana with a ferocity that borders on the pathological. Sometimes we bury our dead in LSU sweatshirts... The only way you could understand that is if you have been there, and so many of you have. So you realize that when you strip away all the craziness and bars and parades and music and architecture and all that hooey, really, the best thing about where we come from is us. We are what made this place a national treasure. We're good people. And don't be afraid to ask us how to pronounce our names. It happens all the time... But don't pity us. We're gonna make it. We're resilient. After all, we've been rooting for the Saints for 35 years. That's got to count for something. OK, maybe something else you should know is that we make jokes at inappropriate times. But what the hell
- Chris Rose, Times-Picayune columnist


Loves~Loves~Loves~

17 comments:

Belle said...

The people of New Orleans sound like many members of my family. I'm sure I would love it there!

Shelly said...

I, too, feel a kindred spirit with my Louisiana neighbors! I loved that post. Thank you for sharing!

Ellie said...

That's a great post. South Louisiana people sound like lots of fun.

Shady Del Knight said...

As a damn Yankee I had to look up the word Sazerac in my Funk and Wagnalls, Sush. I used to drink cognac and if I was still a drinking man that old fashioned cocktail would be first on my list to try. Tampa Bay has a somewhat similar culture to New Orleans. Historic Ybor City with its restaurants, jazz clubs, theater and cigar district is a major draw along with an easy, laid-back lifestyle in and around the water. All the TV weatherman has to say is "JAPDIP" for viewers to know what he means: "just another perfect day in paradise."

Thisisme. said...

That's such a good post my friend about your home place. I love the comment, that we are not to take pity on them, and that they are resilient and they will overcome all this. What great people they must be.

jabblog said...

You sound like people I'd love to meet:-)

orchid said...

Dear Sush,
New Orleans♬♬♬
For a Japanese who hasn't been to your lovely country, it is a place of JOY!!!
My husband who plays saxophone said "oh, Place of JAZZ and remids me of Charles Parker and Louis Armstrong."
Yes, I love the comment.
Hugs to you and take Care my friend,

PS> Thank you for your encouraging comment. I sometimes feel myself aging,haha. I appreciate your sweetness.

karen said...

I've always been partial to all things Louisiana/New Orleans - although I've never been there. My brother went to med school at Tulane and had great fun drinking in the culture (when he had time every now and again!) He learned to suck the heads of crawfish with the best of 'em! Whooo-eee! I still want to go there for myself.

Pat MacKenzie said...

I'd love to visit sometime and listen to the funny talk and strange music. Sounds like a fun place to be. I like it when people can recogize their peculiar quirks and ideosyncracies the way that columnist did.

Thisisme. said...

Hi Sush. I'm so pleased that you won the prize for the best joke at Carol's party!! Hope hubby is feeling better and that you have a lovely weekend.

Chatty Crone said...

Looks like a great place to come and visit - great spirits and hope your hubby is better. sandie

Desiree said...

What a lovely post, Sush and it's so good to have you back after your hubby's unpleasant encounter with the rock. I do hope he's well on the mend and feeling stronger every day. Congratulations, also, on your win over at Carol's blog! I'm especially thrilled for you, as I'd voted for your entry :)

Leontien said...

That was a great little piece! But it makes me wonder what on earth are you eating over there????!!!

Big hugs from Indiana
Leontien

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

Great writing, I love this kind of "not to be take too seriously" writing. I might have to visit one day as I'm curious now ;-) Have a great week xo

Jenni @ Story of My Life said...

HI SUSH! You gave me a link to, I believe, your daughter in law's blog a while back. I meant to look at it, but now I can't find the link! Would you mind giving it to me again?? Thanks sooo much! :)

Munir said...

South Louisiana people seem to know what life is all about. Thanks for sharing.

Life 101 said...

Every time I've been to South Louisiana, I've had a GREAT time.
Jilda and I went many times in 1980. I was with the phone company and went to put Mobile back together after Hurricane Fredrick (1979). I was a fun year, and a lot of that is because we got a chance to see Louisiana and Mississippi as well as the panhandle of Florida.
Hope hubby is feeling better.
Rick