Wednesday, September 21, 2011

If The Law Allows...

I am sooo, soooooo, soooooooo, late with my birthday tribute to my dear niece Katie. I think she will forgive me, I'm HOPING she will as she is such a charitable soul. And knows I would have written this on time if life had not interrupted my plans. Small matters like a husband with a kidney stone bordering on the size of Stone Mountain and required similar sand blasting to remove the stone as to create the Generals of Stone Mountain. Small matters like I was tranquilized to the point of inertia for a procedure on my back and am just awakening from the tranquility coma. Small matters like brain fried Aunt...oh I guess that ties in with the aforementioned small matters. Like I said...


So Miss Second Year Law School scholar this one's delayed but for vous! And if the Law Allows I hope you will accept my tardiness and enjoy your birthday posting!


Katie is my niece born to my sister Patsy. Patsy and I are about 19 months apart in age. I won't say who is older, but suffice it say, I'm not. Patsy and I were married within six months of each other. Our Mother still spoke to us and our Dad didn't disinherit us so we considered that a success. My oldest son is about four months older than her oldest son. In between the births of our oldest children we have kids in close proximity to their cousins but in born in different years. Then we had our last children born the same year. This time Patsy's youngest was born in August and my youngest was born in October. And they were both girls, her second my first. This all leads to not a lot of information about Katie, but a lot of history on how she has mingled and entwined her being in my life and my heart. In a very affirmative and delightfully co-inkie dinkie kinda way, she is perpetually linked to me and Elise. 


Because their parents live in different areas of the country, Katie and her cousin Elise don't always get to spend a lot of time together. But when they do it is a lot of quality time and crazy fun filled laughter filled moments, from what they have shared. With cousins being tight and tight lipped sometimes what is shared is just what I can garner from conversations with siblings, etc. But they do have a lot of fun when they do get together...no matter how many 'years' it may or may not have last been.


Whether it's a joint day trip to D.C. as toddlers in the stroller...
A 'Sip n' See' tea for new twin cousins...
A Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary Weekend Celebration for Grandparents (Elise is wearing a heart on her shirt and Katie is sitting on her right as you look at the photo)...
Rehearsal Dinners and Weddings of siblings/cousins seemed to unite them for quite a few years...

Katie, Elisabeth, Elise
The connection between these two cousins has remained close, bringing much joy and happiness to their Mothers. For two years Katie has been enrolled in Law School...taking her across the country to the colder climate of the mid-west. I enjoy hearing about her success via her cousin and Facebook. Life of a law student is very restricted to reading, studying and class. I'm looking forward to the completion of her degree so she can maybe have more time for visiting. To not waiting for when the Law Allows what she can and cannot do.


Most of all  I'm looking forward to when she can once again be in arms reach where I can give her a big hug and lots of Loves~Loves~Loves~!


Happy Birthday Katie...I love you a bushel and a Peck(ie)!


15 comments:

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Happy Birthday Katie
you are a lucky girl to have such a lovely Aunt (even if she is late with your birthday greetings)!!!

Sush - have a good week and hope all is well


x Fiona @ Raindrops and Daisys

Claudia Moser said...

Happy birthday Katie!

I hope your husband feels better, sending happy thoughts!

Shelly said...

Sush, what a time you have had! I am so glad you and your hubby are on the mend. And, happy birthday to Katie!

I am also glad you are posting again- missed seeing your lovely blog!

Ellie said...

That was a lovely post about Katie and Elise, I hope Katie had a lovely birthday.
You certainly have had your hands full of late. Hope you are both feeling better.
Take care.

Bouncin' Barb said...

What a great post. I love hearing about close knit families since mine is NOT. Happy Birthday to Katie.

Desiree said...

Happy Birthday, Katie! Sush, I am sorry to hear you have been having a tough time with your back. Hopefully the procedure you had will have eased the problem significantly. Hope your hubby is doing much better now, too! It has been so nice seeing these family pictures and learning a little more about your history.

Pat MacKenzie said...

I love stories about cousins being close as they grow up. Happy birthday to Katie.

Take care of yourself. Oh, by the way, I love the reference to "I love you a bushel and a peck". I haven't heard that one in years. "A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck".

Shady Del Knight said...

Very sweet, Sush! You have a large and loving family and it's a pleasure to meet them by means of your blog. Happy birthday to Katie! I missed you, Sush. I sensed by your absence that you were still dealing with some serious family issues. I hope the worst is behind you now, dear friend!

EmptyNester said...

Happy birthday to your lovely niece! What a truly lovely family you have!

karen said...

Happy Birthday to your Katie - how fun that the cousins have stayed close over the years. I'm glad life has slowed down a bit for you and that you're back among us. Hope your husband is recuperating well. I did miss you!

kneesandpaws said...

Hi Sush, what a really sweet tribute. Happy Birthday to Katie!

Belle said...

I loved reading about your sister and both sets of children. Happy Birthday to Katie!

Sush said...

~Fiona...thanks for your concern...and your special birthday greeting to Katie! I've missed playing with my friends...

~Claudia...and I'm hoping your husband is fully on the mend! It sure is hard when they are down and out...hugs!

~Shelly, it's good to hear from you dear friend! I'm slow to get around on all my favorite blogs...we are both still moving like inchworms, but forward motion is good motion! Hugs to you!

~Ellie...after visiting a few of my favorite blogs it seems there is something in the air in blogland. I hope all is well with you and yours, I'm hoping to visit all my friends bit by bit! Thanks for stopping in and lots of Hugs~

~BB...seems to me you have some very close knit grandchildren! Hope you are doing better and I've been checking on you even if I haven't been keen enough to sign in! Lots of love and hugs~

~Pat...I do date myself when I write things like I love you a bushel and a peck, but my Mom's name was Peckie so we all use it quite a bit! Thanks for the birthday greetings for Katie!

~Desiree...I've missed having my lovely tours of your garden and country side. I'm looking forward to some great South African photographs to keep me moving along! Hugs to you dear friend!

~Hi Tom...I've been keeping tabs on all my dear friends if not having the where withall to comment. It's so nice to hear from you and I've been enjoying your tunes all along! Hugs dear friend~

~Empty Nester...oh you KNOW how those big families are! Lots of love and craziness! Hugs~

~Karen...oh how I've missed you too! I hope your ankle is doing much better and you are having a grand time with your little ones! Hugs~

~Jenny...so good to see your sweet face...hope school and all your projects are rolling right along! Hugs~

~Belle...I enjoy reading about your sister and family as well! Glad to be back in the game if only for short spurts...missed you much!

Holly said...

I hope you niece had a great birthday! :)

Odie Langley said...

Thanks so very much for your offer of help. Everything seems to be being done that can be and I have a cousin who will be staying with her. I hope to find out more about her today & will post an update when I can. Thanks again for being so sweet.
Odie