Thursday, October 27, 2011

Clothes Closet

When I was a very young girl I used to think how much fun it would be when I had children and we could share clothes, makeup tips, shoes...you get the drift. I grew up with four sisters and one brother so I mostly was picturing more girls than boys in this imaginary family. 


Then I ended up having this group of four boys and that's all I had for the longest while until my sweet girl appeared in our lives. Not long after her birth I thought, 'aha', at last someone to share my clothes with! I guess I rushed things in my mind. Elise was NOT the first of my children to share my clothes...

My sweet young boys became sweet funny teenagers. They were on Student Council and the football team. They needed to borrow my clothes...Excuse YOU!
Yep...I didn't have to wait for my sweet baby girl to grow up...I furnished clothes for my sons and their friends. Who'd have thunk it? 


Enjoy the Fashion Show. 


First up was a Student Council spoof of I believe a beer commercial. The men in the commercial for some reason dressed up as women. I'm very sketchy on why/how this became a Student Council skit, but the dresses on each end are mine and several pairs of earrings. The lovely dark haired young man on the far left is my son...handsome isn't she he!
Then the football players were needing to 'accessorize' for the Powder Puff game. To be truthful, I only helped my own son for this. Some items remain only in the family. My son was the one in the baseball cap. His was the only head of hair not long enough for pig tails of any length.
Now another son was sweet enough to have his picture taken with his Grandmother before the game. I think that actually was someone else's wig. He looked a lot like his paternal grandmother who is NOT in this picture. I may not have shared anything from my closet for this photo, but it seems to fit the storyline...
But if you live long enough...and hold onto your treasured items, you may one day live to see your DAUGHTER wear an item of yours. And not as a costume. First up is a photograph from when I was a young Mother. Take notice of the blouse in the picture...
This next photograph was taken this evening. Finally, finally...my daughter raided my clothes closet. She chose the blouse above and one other to add to her wardrobe. Be still my foolish heart!
Okay don't give me any grief...I waited a lonnnggggg time for this to happen and I did take quite a few pictures with her modeling my blouse...but she's just so darn pretty...
There were many more, but we started getting creative. I asked her to stand in front of the portrait of the first Elise. I told her to have a solemn smile, similar to her Great-great-grandmother's.
She had a hard time maintaining the pose...
Moral of story? Live long and be ready to share with ALL your family...you'll have so many blackmail worthy pictures if you do!


Loves~Loves~Loves~

22 comments:

Desiree said...

What a sweet story, Sush! Elise is beautiful and your treasured blouse is lovely! I must admit it never occurred to me to share my clothes with Linda in the way you held this as a long time wish/dream, but Linda has worn some of my things now and then...mostly warm tops when she's visiting and suddenly feels chilly! You had fun putting ths post together, didn't you? I do love how you maintain all the family ties through the generations, keeping the links and storylines alive.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh this is toooo adorable!!! I had a favorite dress when I was a little girl that I saved and my daughter wore it and I was thrilled....Then, I had another favorite one in high school and I saved that too and she wore it--I was so excited. That mother/daughter tradition is just SO fun!!!

Thanks so much for your sweet comment--so far, so good here and we go to the dr. tomorrow!

Xo
Cindy

orchid said...

Dearest Sush,
I so enjoyed your story and pictures, my friend!!!
So Jealous with your LOVELY jewels (I mean children)♡♡♡
Thank you for sharing us these photos♬♬♬
Much Love, my friend xoxo, Orchid*

Thisisme. said...

Hi my friend. What a lovely post. I love it how the love you have for your family always shines through like this. You obviously had great fun looking through your photos and putting the whole thing together. Your daughter is certainly beautiful, and you must have been SO proud when you saw her in that blouse. Gosh, you must have looked after it really well, as it looks like new!! Hugs.

Shelly said...

This is a GREAT story, Sush! I enjoyed the pics of your boys wearing your outfits, and then I loved seeing you in the blouse first and then your daughter. What fun, joyous times! I do have to say, though, that your daughter looks much better in your clothes than do your sons!

Shady Del Knight said...

For years I've been offering to share my pretty pink dress with the young members of my family. No takers! Your clothing looks good on the guys, Sush, but I must admit that I lingered a while longer of pictures of you and your daughter. It's easy to see where Elise gets her beauty. I can't decide which Hollywood actress you most resemble: Joanne Woodward, Lee Remick or Florence Henderson. Hugs to you and have a terrific Thursday, dear Sush!

Laura said...

hahaha...the beginning of this post cracked me up!!!!! But, I the ending was oh so sweet and so meaningful. That blouse is BEAUTIFUL and that is so awesome that Elise can wear it now. What a very special piece of clothing! Can't wait to see her in it :) Love you!

Chatty Crone said...

First of all you have a great family of 5 children - they look like a hoot and your daughter so beautiful. Yep your life looks blessed. :)

sandie

EmptyNester said...

Love this post! So sweet. Glad you finally got to share with your lovely daughter.

With four daughters, you would think I would have shared tons of girly stuff but, NO. I'm not a girly girl as far as pretty dressy clothes and make up go. Two of our girls are and two aren't. So we all have such different tastes, it just doesn't happen. My brothers dressed up for school events like your sons did though. And they borrowed some of my things! LOL

Bossy Betty said...

Love these pictures and the stories! I laughed at the group shot of the boys!

Your daughter looks like a sweetie.

Desiree said...

I have just high-tailed it across here...see my skidmarks on the driveway?...after reading your comment on Diane's blog...about having another procedure on your back today! I do hope you will not be too uncomfortable afterwards, Sush...at least, not in any pain, I hope? Please rest up and follow your doctor's orders, so you can recover quickly.

As you will (may?) have noticed, I was in so much of a hurry that I arrived at the WRONG door...I ended up opening your last post, instead of this, your most recent, to convey my concern...that's why you have the same message twice. I guess it shows just how much we care about you, though :)

Hugs xoxo

Barbara F. said...

Sush, this is the sweetest post. I so enjoyed it with my second cuppa coffee! I think you look way too young to have children that age! It is wonderful that you have the portrait of the first Elise. That is an heirloom. xo

Shady Del Knight said...

Sush, I hope all's well with your back following this morning's operation. You are in my thoughts and prayers, dear friend.

Claudia Moser said...

Love the post and as Shady said, hope all went well!

Belle said...

I loved this post and your daughter posing in front of her great-great grandmother is priceless. She is so pretty and your blouse is so gorgeous it is still in style. It is funny how your sons were the first to wear your clothes! I pray your operation went well also. God bless.

Sarah Pearson said...

The other week my daughter was wearing a pair of jeans that were mine from slimmer days, a t-shirt that I'd saved from my teenage years and a black shirt that I stole from my brother, also when we were teenagers.

Pat MacKenzie said...

I'm wondering if you kept your wedding dress for Elise too.

When one of my daughters was 7 I spent days making her a very intricate and lovely dress. I kept it for years and finally her daughter was able to wear it too. Nice memories.

Marsha @Spots and Wrinkles said...

Sush,
You are right, your daughter IS very pretty and you are justifiably proud of her.

What fun, with the blouse and all. :)

Blessings to you ...Marsha

Holly said...

Cute photos, and awesome story. :)

Jilda said...

Beautiful blouse, even more beautiful daughter. My niece Samantha raids my closet almost weekly! Today, she got a top, leggings, boots, earrings and belt. I am her personal 24 hour store!

Holly said...

Oh my goodness~ I am sorry that it took so long to come over and visit you. What a darling post about your children and don't you just love the pictures full of memories! I would say there is a lot of love and fun at your home.
hugs and blessings!

yaya said...

Your daughter is a beauty and how sweet to pose with Grannie...and some people actually have the nerve to suggest that if you haven't worn something in a year you should get rid of it..hmmm...As a Mom of 4 boys and no girls, I don't think I'll be using any of my old clothes. However, I do have my wedding dress my Mom hand made for me and perhaps a grandkiddo may want to wear it. (Hopefully one of my girl grandkiddos!)