Monday, November 14, 2011

Hey Faewies...Wake Up In There...

Any morning spent with our grandchildren, any minute for that matter is golden. This particular morning spent with Lily was one I'll cherish. Let me set the stage for that particular day...


I grew up with my Mom reading stories and telling tales of fairies and elves, brownies, goblins and trolls. I was and am, in love with fairyland hook, line and sinker! One day while shopping in a Plow and Hearth store I found a set on sale of windows, door and a light to place on a tree to make an elfin home. I felt shivers down my spine as I envisioned where this delightful display would go. SOLD!


Our back patio was poured around an oak tree. I wish I could take credit for this lovely treat but it was there when we purchased the house...tree and patio were there, that is. It is a favorite place for the grandkids to play. We have a large porch sized swing, a glider and a small bench seat swing for many rides to the sky. A trampoline stands off to the side waiting to give happy jumps to strong legged children.


A few weeks ago Lily and her parents moved into their new home. The cable connection was delayed and it would have helped to have something to keep Lil' occupied during the unpacking. I have several, imagine that...Tinkerbell DVD's for the viewing pleasure of children of all ages. Lily had not yet seen these so I sent them off with her family to see if Tink could work some magic and keep Lily still for perhaps the length of at least one DVD screening.


I have heard from my son that Lily's Mom was intrigued with the movies. Lily watched them with some divided interest. I don't know how often she has viewed the DVD's but evidently enough for the ideas of fairies to have taken root in her imagination. 


And now for the rest of the story...


Lily and her Dad came over a few Saturday mornings ago for a visit. It was a beautiful Autumn day so we went outside to play. First was a trampoline session with Aunt Elise...
After the trampoline session ended, Lily was off wandering and exploring around the backyard. Eureka! A door to the tree? 'Sush, who lives there'?  'Why, Lily that's where the fairies and the elves live'. Lily opened the door but only the tree was behind the door. She asked where the fairies were. I explained they are sleeping, they come out at night. Lily leaned over and in a very stern and loud voice with her face scrunched up to the tree shouted...'HEY...FAEWIES! WAKE UP IN THERE!"
No results...Lily would wander around the yard. She'd stop and play with Beignet...who knows all about Fairies...
Stare with amazement at the image on Holden made by the shadows off our garden globe...Perhaps more magic?
And then she would go back to the Fairy Tree, rearrange the windows and tried shouting to the fairies again, "HEY FAEWIES WAKE UP IN THERE!"
'C'MON FAEWIES WAKE UP!'
Perhaps one more time? Maybe knocking will wake them up?
No luck. Were' going to have to try this at night, Lily...when there is a ring around the full moon. That's when the fairies are having a Ball!  We'll be sure to see them getting ready for the party. You'll see, Lily...just you wait!


 And when that does happen, I'll be sure to share!


Loves~Loves~Loves~

31 comments:

Pat MacKenzie said...

What a lovely story. How fortunate Lily is to have an imaginative grandmother like you to teach her all about the land of the fairies.

Chatty Crone said...

Sounds like you had a very nice time with your granddaughter! Lots of laughter and fun. Makes good memories for her. sandie

Shelly said...

Oh, this made me want to go back to my childhood when my grandma would regale us with stories about the fairy folk. I'm looking at a picture right now on my desk of my younger daughter when she was about two in the garden with her fairy clothes on.

How precious is Lily!

Thisisme. said...

Sounds like you have a magical time with little Lily. Love the photos of her calling out to the little faewies!! What a cute idea having a little door in that tree like that. Spending time with our grandchildren is the very best thing, isn't it?! I had Eli & Ruby to sleep on Saturday evening - wonderful.

Shady Del Knight said...

Isn't Lily precious? What an adorable little girl! It's delightful to watch a child's imagination leading the way through an afternoon of play. The dogs added to the fun and even to the mystery and magic as you pointed out. Lily will meet those fairies one day... knock on wood! Thank you for the heartwarming pictures and story and have a wonderful week, dear Sush!

Desiree said...

I love the earnest bent knees stance as she's concentrating on trying to get those sleepy headed fairies to wake up. What a precious little girl! When we used to take our children on picnics, we surreptiously hid sweeties and chocolates in the trees and shrubs then told our two we'd seen teddy bears picnicking and off they'd rush to see. They were always delighted and surprised to find the hidden sweets left by the teddies.

laurie said...

oh my gosh thats so cute, a fairy house, and your grand daughter is a sweet heart,, lovely dogs as well.

Steadfast Ahoy! said...

We are now teaching our Grands about fairy nests in Maine. We learned it from Grandma, our kids and now our Grands are all smitten!
Lilly is so sweet. Believing in Fairies is a good thing.
Rosemary

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Hi Sush,

your grand daughter is beautiful,
enjoy every minute of her.


x Fiona

Ellie said...

Oh what a wonderful blog. I can just imagine your granddaughters excitement. I'm feeling excited for her lol.
What a wonderful gran you are.

Bouncin' Barb said...

Oh how this brought back such happy memories. My late husband and our oldest granddaughter would go out and search for fairies in her backyard when was about this age. They'd look under leaves, he'd pretend he'd hear something and she would say "I hear them". That age is so precious and so are fairies!!! She is 13 now and remembers this so clearly. Great post and thanks for putting a smile on my face tonight,

Jenni said...

children's innocence is so wonderful! Great blog. thanks for sharing

Christine said...

You've got to print this post and keep it for Lily. When she's older she'll love reading it. Any post about my grands I print and put in a notebook. Someday I'll give them each one for safe keeping and happy memories.

Donna said...

Cute story, Sush! I love the fairy house, very neat!! And youa re right, time spent with grands is golden!! Love to just har their little voices...so sweet. Your Lily is really adorable...have fun!!

Laura said...

I love this!!!!!!!!!! :)

Sush said...

Pat...how very kind of you but it is Lily I think who is teaching me!
Hugs~

Sandie...we had a delightful morning, and I never have enough time with any of my grandchildren, sigh...
Hugs~

Shelly...fairyland and childhood...two magical places!
Hugs~

Diane...wouldn't if be fun if we could all put our grands in one room and just share?!! Sleepovers with Eli and Ruby must be joyous!
Hugs~

Tom...Thank you for your kind words. I'm really looking forward to sharing some of your music with Lily! She loves music...
Hugs~

Des...Oh now you've done it! I'm going to have to start hiding treats left by the fairies. What fun!
Hugs~

Laurie...She not only was intrigued with the fairies but she is a dog lover as well! Her family has a chocolate lab she adores!
Hugs~

Rosemary...I'm glad to know we keepers of the faith are passing along the knowledge!
Hugs~

Fiona...perhaps you have a few Irish fairytales to share?
Hugs~

Ellie...now then I could get you to send some nice Scottish fairy tales as well?
Hugs~

BB...thanks for stopping in and consider it a belated birthday present. I'm sure that was a happy time for you and Rich and your granddaughter.
Hugs~ PS Love the hair...

Jenni...I wish we could all be so innocent! Thanks for stopping in.
Hugs~

Christine...what a wonderful idea. I'm going to start doing that!
Hugs~

Donna...Isn't that time just golden? Your Halloween looked like some of those golden moments!
Hugs~

Laura...can't wait to see you, nor can Lily!
Hugs~

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh--it she adorable or what??? How totally precious!!!
XO
Cindy

Denise J. Hughes said...

So sweet. I love it. How wonderful you get to create these precious memories with your grandchildren. Simply beautiful.

Hugs.

Sarah Pearson said...

What beautiful memories Lily will have of her childhood when she grows up.

orchid said...

Dear Sush,
Oh, I missed a wonderful Lovely story of Lily♡♡♡
Your angel is SO cute and sure she will have a wonderful memory with that tree and you!!!
Love and Lots of Hugs to you, Orchid*

Kathi said...

That was so sweet Sush. I will be on the lookout for a fairy kit... I bet Lily had precious delightful dreams due to your love and storytellings.

Gawgus things... said...

Me too! Me too!! I want to be at the fairy ball :)

Sush said...

Cindy...well as her Grandma I'd say yes but without bias I'd still say yes! Hugs~

Denise...it's like living in story land every day, being a Gramma!
Hugs~

Sarah...She's a memorable sweet child! Thanks and hugs~

Orchid...So kind of you to stop in dear friend. Much love~

Kathi...Ohhhh wouldn't it be wonderful to know what she was dreaming! Plow and Hearth sells the kits and you can find them on sale.
Hugs~

Emma...I'll be sure to forward my invite...You'll steal the show with your Glam!
Hugs~

Darlene said...

That is such a cute story, and, Lily is absolutely adorable.

lisa said...

Ha! I love it. I can definitely hear her calling for the fairies. And, yes, I do admit to have taken an interest in the Tinkerbell movies!

EmptyNester said...

You made this quite an enchanting post! Now I want to read up on fairies before the grands start coming. I should have plenty of time since none of the lovelies have any interest yet. Fingers crossed...Wait! Maybe you and Lily could talk to the fairies on my behalf? LOL

karen said...

I loved your tree and all of it's magic. Took me right back to my childhood when i would imagine all sorts of things about fairies and elves. Sweet story.

Sush said...

Darlene...Thanks...you should see her in real life!

Lisa...I thought you'd love those pictures of Lily! She was talking about Tinkerbell that day, but Tim did say the dvd's were keeping your attention longer than Lil's!
Hugs~

EmptyNester...Lots of tales of fairies to be found. My DIL's mother told me about Fairy Hill in Ireland. I'm going to have to go visit!
Hugs~

Karen...It is a wonderful place to visit...Fairyland!
Hugs~

Holly said...

This is SUCH a cute story! :D

Sush said...

Holly...Thanks it was a lot of fun watching her..
Hugs~

kneesandpaws said...

I love that you've spelled Fairies the way she pronounced it. I can almost hear her sweet little voice! And now I must go in search of that charming door and window for our yard. I was in love with the idea of fairies as a young girl. I wanted to be miniature so that I could fit into my doll house and the twig "fairy" houses I use to build at the bases of tree trunks. Thanks for bringing back that memory.