Friday, November 18, 2011

Making A Difference

After the soccer game last weekend we were invited back to Trey and Peter's home for lunch. While it was being prepared I did one of my favorite things to do in many a household...peruse the contents on the refrigerator door. I love seeing the latest photos and school projects on display. I had a lovely surprise waiting for me! There was a piece of card stock with a starfish glued to it. Under the starfish was the poem below. What a lovely philosophy it encompasses. We can all be like that little boy and make a difference. Even it it's to 'that ONE'.


Original Story by: Loren Eisley


One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.


Approaching the boy, he asked, 'What are you doing?'


The youth replied, 'Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is out. If I don't throw them back, they'll die.'


'Son,' the man said...'don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can't make a difference!'


After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then smiling at the man he said, 'I made a difference to that one!'


Loves~Loves~Loves~

13 comments:

Belle said...

That's a great story. Maybe we can't help everyone, but we can help someone!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh--I love that!!! I am writing a second angel book and I just said something similar--that if I can make a difference to just ONE person, then it is worth writing it...

Thank you so much for your prayers and I appreciate them so much. You are a doll!
XO
Cindy

Desiree said...

I have read this several times, often altered ever so slightly, but the sentiments remain the same. I absolutely believe that we can all make a difference by following the wisdom of this philosophy and I do try to practise it myself as often as I am able. Thanks for the gentle reminder, Sush. xoxo

Thisisme. said...

Hi Sush. Like Desiree, I have read this many times, but it is truly beautiful. They have this poem framed and on the wall in the local Childrens' Hospice. We CAN all make a difference, even if it only to ONE person. Lovely to see this poem again today. Hugs.

Shady Del Knight said...

If you think of the aggregate amount of problems in the world it overwhelms you. If you focus on one problem at a time and act resourcefully, you might solve it. In doing so you have already made a difference. That completion, that win, gives you the confidence to tackle more and greater problems and make a difference on a larger scale. Results are not always immediate. Think long term. Plant seeds. Lovingly tend your garden. Reap what you sow.

Shelly said...

Beautiful-

orchid said...

Dear Sush,
As a Japanese, I've never read this poem. Thank you SO much for sharing with us!!!
What a heartwarming and lovely poem. I loved it so much and I'll never forget the connection with the starfish and making a difference.
Maybe, if I find this ideom "make a difference" in my high school students' textbook, I'll read this to them.
Blessing to you, xoxo Orchid*

Pat MacKenzie said...

What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing it.

Prasetyo said...

Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment here.

Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog too.

Thanks for share,
* Rio Prasetyo *

yaya said...

Ok Sush, here's how stupid I am...perusing the contents of fridge door..I immediately thought of my fridge door and thought, "Gee, all I have is salad dressing, olives and some Hershey syrup in my door"..duh..the outside of the door..It's been a long week.

karen said...

I love that story. The first time I read it I got a few tears in my eyes. Can I tell you again how much I like that picture of you and your sister? I'm looking at it as I comment and it reminded me of how cute it is.

jabblog said...

Lovely story and a fabulous attitude:-)

Claudia Moser said...

Great post!