Monday, January 16, 2012

Electrician In Training

Why yes, that would be me. Not. My husband would like me to be his helper while he is rewiring our vanity area to the master bathroom. I know he needs the help so I'm climbing up and down the ladder, passing tools, pencils etc through the hole he created in the ceiling. I cannot complain...or let me amend that...I should not complain. He is doing this all for moi. When we discussed renovating the master bedroom/bath I asked if he could put a chandelier in the vanity area. Nothing ostentatious or fussy, the space isn't large enough to handle that and well I'm just not the fussy kind. I would like to say regal but then my family would be choking with laughter if I referred to myself as regal. However I wouldn't mind sparkly...Lily and I like sparkly.

Anyhow I offered to buy a Living Social coupon where he gets $200 worth of electrical work for $90, but that was more of a challenge than a gift to his male brain. I admit, I don't get it. But he is excellent and fastidious and other than his grumpiness when he doesn't understand my vision until we've had a few words he's THE MAN.

I think my parents and his parents are laughing in heaven at the sight of me screwing the light holder thingy in with the electric screwdriver. Pulling wires down from the attic at his direction on where to direct the wires. Simple, perhaps but then those are big wires going through tight spaces. And it ain't shake and bake but I helped!

So while he's up in the attic finishing whatever it is he has to do in the attic, I stole a moment or three to fill you in on how I spent my weekend. I think I might even get a lunch out of the deal! Oh no wait that means I need to leave you dear friends and go put that lunch together. While he is a man of many talents in the building field...he limits his kitchen talents to pancakes.

Oh and to put things in perspective on what a trooper I am...this is for my husband's benefit really as he does read my blog on urging....I did all this on my third round of meds as the junque is back. Grrrr....

Maybe we can turn the lights on soon. But don't hold your breath....

Loves~Loves~Loves~

19 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Just take a deep breath, all will be well!

jabblog said...

I'm the electrician's mate, too. Fun, isn't it?

Shelly said...

I always get so nervous when I'm having to serve as first mate on a construction project- good for you! I'm sure it will be lovely- maybe you can post some pics of it when it's finished.

Tell that junque it's already overextended its stay! Get well soon, my friend!

yaya said...

I hate reno..and I'm really scared of any electric thing that has to be fixed. I'm even nervous when I plug something in, so I congratulate you! A big pat on the back to the hubs too, because I know how much my hubby enjoys my projects that include him! (NOT!)

Belle said...

Good work! I'm a bit scared of electricity too, but my hubby did rewire an entire basement apartment one time and did a great job. I don't think I was much help. :)

I hope you are completely well soon, Sush. I'll be praying for you.

Shady Del Knight said...

A little light work now and then beats heavy lifting, right Sush? "Light" work, get it? Well, I applaud you and your date on your d.i.y. skills. If you're saying you're getting congested again then I am very sorry about that and I hope your meds knock it out of you soon! Take care, my dear friend!

Christine said...

My hubby is not a handy man and every project is such an ordeal that I put it off as long as possibe or hire it done. He is handy in the kitchen though, so I don't complain too much.

christine donee said...

What? No photos? Come on.. I need to see all the action!

Cindy Adkins said...

oh geez, what drama there, eh? (My husband is a power lineman--wished we lived closer!) Our poor Saints, can you believe it? What a game! It was unbelievable!! xo Cindy

Life 101 said...

Wow! Y'all taking on any side jobs? We're starting on the inside of our creative space when the weather warms up we could use the help of a handywoman :)

kneesandpaws said...

I've had that honor of being my husband's electrician's helper once. We were re wiring the garage in winter. I was frozen and crabby and impatient. But now it is a good memory of us working together. I'm now happy that he trusted me to work by his side on something that was potentially dangerous for both of us.

I hope you continue to feel better! Being sick is the worst!

Marsha @Spots and Wrinkles said...

Sush, I salute you. There is no way under heaven I would be my LOC's "helper" in one of his little escapades - and there have been a few.

AND - you gave me a good idea for a future post. :)

Sorry to hear you are back on meds. Boy whatever you had/have is really hanging on. Hope you get well soon. Blessings to you - Marsha

Desiree said...

I am popping by to say a very quick hi. I will visit properly tomorrow and catch up on all the posts I have missed! I missed you, too! Big hug xoxo

Jilda said...

Ok girlfriend, if the crud is back in the lungs it is time for some R&R. It is interesting be hubby's helper isn't it?
The closest time Rick and I ever came to blows....laying
Tile on the diagonal on the kitchen floor.
:)

Denise J. Hughes said...

This is too funny as I can relate. My husband is an accountant in real life, but he likes to think he's "handy." Oh, the stories I could tell.

Best of luck as you finish your vanity!

Desiree said...

OK, here I am, as promised! Now that I've had a chance to read this post, I'll be moving backwards to catch up on whatever else I've missed. You're a real trooper and I give you 10/10 for your efforts. My husband doesn't often ask for my help. In fact, most times I get to help is because I've noticed him battling silently on his own and then I offer my assistance. 9/10 times, once the job's complete, he agrees my help was useful. That's the big difference between us. While he won't generally ask for assistance, I do so regularly and often. I can't wait to see pics of your finished bedroom, bathroom and new vanity area with its sparkly lights, Your Highness :) I am not pleased to hear you're not well again :(

Sweet Tea said...

I think you and your "man" are both very good sports. He's doing as you want and you are his assistant. I can imagine that's not always a friendly arrangement, but at least you guys are saving a lot of $$$. That has to make you both feel good. Sorry, you're not feeling good - don't overdo, my friend.

Betty Jo said...

Good for you! I'm so "handy man" challenged it's not even funny. After my husband passed away I even bought a pink tool bag, thinking that would encourage me to tackle some of the things he used to do; hanging shelves, fixing doors, etc. I've yet to hang the first shelf, or fix anything. But, I do own a gorgeous pink tool bag!

orchid said...

Dearest Sush,
I always have to be my hubby's assistant just fetching things and so on. But not that big job like you two☆☆☆
Blessing to the wonderful team!!!
Love and Lots of Hugs to you, xoxo Miyako*