Saturday, January 7, 2012

Why Happy Birthday Mr Wonderful

I've been thinking all week about this post. What will I write for my husband's birthday that would convey how much I love him and the life we have made? This is definitely one of those times when it's hard to find just the right words to illustrate the wonders of this man. I think I'll try to give you a few highlights of our life together.

I remember seeing him for the first time. I was in a high school sorority with his sister. Steve dropped her off at a meeting. He was in college...I was in high school. Lost cause as far as I felt. Worldly college man wouldn't be interested in high school girl. As my kids used to say when something was exactly so...'word up'. Every now and then I'd see him dropping Beryl off or picking her up at different sorority events. My heart would still go pitty pat, and still I don't think he even noticed me. Flash forward to the end of our senior year in high school. I mean the real end of it...school's over. I'm sitting on the counter in our family kitchen talking with my Mom over the future. College, boys...college boys! I said, "You know who'd I'd really love to go out with is Beryl's older brother, but he's a junior in college and wouldn't want to go out with a girl just out of high school. Two days later the phone rings and it's Beryl asking me if I'd be interested in going out with her brother. Jaw drops and I cooly say, (you never know if he was listening on another phone) "What he can't get a date....sure I'll give him a break and go". Heart pounding, lump the size of grapefruit in my throat. And so it began...

We were married the December after he graduated from LSU. He had been accepted to LSU's School of Law. Three days, that's all he needed to realize he wasn't meant to love live life as a lawyer. We were as happy as clams living in our little upstairs apartment nestled in the limbs of an oak tree. Steve was working for the construction company he'd worked for during his summer breaks. A degree in Psychology was great for opening the doors for law school...not so much getting a well paying job. We'd stay awake nights chatting and dreaming of where life would take us next.
Wouldn't you know? We were back at LSU living in Married Students Louseing Housing. Steve went back to college and got a degree in Construction Engineering. Do what you love, right? I worked as a Dental Assistant and we lived a life of love and stone soup! When my pay check arrived it was a BIG deal to go to the local Mexican restaurant and raise the flag for sopapillas!
Fast forward and a year after his second graduation we had our first child. And made up for lost time I suppose with three more children coming like stair steps one after the other. What do you say about a man that reads, Where the Red Fern Grows to his children at the dinner table. Soft hearted man can't get through the book without the 'poochie' face and shedding his own share of tears. Good example is what  I say!
And he still loves reading to children, now it's the next generation that he enjoys cuddling with for a good story!
This is my husband...the father of our children. The man that took his daughter dancing for her first time!
And still enjoys every time he can twirl her around on the dance floor!
Gave his daughter her first ride down the hill in the snow...

The man who gently picked my ailing grandmother off the floor where she had fainted and carried her to her bed. The man who stayed with our children at night for almost a week so I could stay with my grandmother until she passed away. I will always cherish and love him for giving me that time with her and never complaining, not once, that he was returning form work to care for the four boys alone.

He is the man who taught his children that you 'show up' no matter what. That cuddling and love aren't signs of weakness but strength.
No matter how old you are...
This is the man who gave haircuts to his children and put cardboard in the soles of his shoes when the boys all needed cleats for baseball at the same time. This is the man who still loves giving haircuts, although now for the next generation.
This is the man who took care of me when I had surgery three different times on my back. Never complained as he did the shopping and cooking and cleaning. This is the man who still mops the floors ever since my obstetrician told him it was better for him to do than me when I was pregnant with our first child...thirty six years ago.

Do we argue? Heck yes! Is he perfect? He is for me. He loves me no matter how crazy angry I can be. He's learned to duck if I send a frozen ice cream cake flying. But hasn't learned to please stop when I say please stop...thus the flying cake. He loves me in sickness and in health. And does it truly and kindly.

This is the man who last night with no reason, walked up to me and said, "Did you know you are the love of my life?".

So get your singing voice ready Mr Wonderful, (for how he got that name check here). We're going out with all the gang for dinner and will return home for a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday To You!

Loves~Loves~Loves~

26 comments:

Desiree said...

I have been absent for a coue of weeks and am still on my blogging break but thought I'd check in briefly today. What a superb post, Sush! You'll have all of us out here in Blog Land loving your husband, too! What a keeper he is and the love you feel for him is abundantly evident. He sounds a lot like my husband, so I know just how blessed you are. Happy Birthday, Sush's 40 year strong and still going strong, Date!

Claudia Moser said...

Ther wer so many sentences which I read aloud to my husband since they were so wonderful. You are so lucky and he is a wonderful guy indeed. Happy birthday!

Crystal Pistol said...

I loved every second of this post. You have a wonderful man. He is lucky to have a beautiful woman who recognizes and celebrates him as you do. Happy birthday to your Love!

And ice cream cake, huh? I threw a can of diet coke once. Carbonation really makes a flying can of coke exciting! ;) it's a miracle any of us survive marriage, and yet there is so much joy to be had as well.

Ellie said...

What a beautiful post Sush, you have a man in a million there and I think you know it. Although Mr Wonderful has the same and I think he knows it too. :))
Happy Birthday Mr Wonderful!!!

Odie Langley said...

This was a really great post girl and who wouldn't want to read about such a happy marriage and the love that has held it together. Happy Birthday from Odie and have a marvelous weekend.

Shelly said...

What a rich, poignant post. You had me hanging on every word. He's a keeper, for sure, and I know he says the same about you. Happy birthday to him!

Kathi said...

aww. this was great. The pictures were so fun to see. My favorite is definitely the sleigh ride with the little one! Precious. May he have a happy birthday and many many more!

Thisisme. said...

What a beautiful, touching post in tribute to your very own Mr Wonderful. I loved to see all the photos and, my goodness, what beautiful blue eyes hubby has! Happy Birthday to your still very special date of 40 years and more, and I still think how lovely and special it is that you still think he hung the moon!! Have a wonderful dinner with hubby and the family x

Ina in Alaska said...

I Loves Loves Loves this tribute to Mr. Wonderful as well as the links back to the stories of the Super Glamorous Bet. Thank you for sharing those memories & photos. Love everyone's names! What a beautiful person Bet was & how lucky you were to have had her influence in her life. All the posts together read like little chapters in a book.

Your love story with your husband even after all the years is fantastic & I wish you many more years of happiness Susiebelle. xo

kneesandpaws said...

I am learning how to write about people I love from you, just now. This post is so touching and real and beautiful! What a loving man and a caring soul. I love that he reads aloud to his children and grandchildren. It inspires me to keep reading to mine...and to check out Where the Red Fern Grows. I understand about having a degree that doesn't help pay the bills...it was a good decision for him to go back to school so that you could be more secure. It is better to look at all the good qualities in our family members. Sometimes I forget to do this.

Sweet Tea said...

He does sound WONDERFUL!!
Happy Birthday to this special guy!!

Shady Del Knight said...

This is the greatest birthday tribute that I have ever read, Sush, no exceptions. You're just coming off an illness, dear friend, and yet you managed to assemble what can only be called a brilliant post in honor of your husband's birthday, one that pays homage to the traits and qualities that make him an exceptional date/mate, father and grandfather.

I am happy for you, Sush. These days mismatched couples outnumber compatible ones and the divorce rate is high. Your inspiring love story reminds us that every once in a while the universe gets it right. Sometimes, not often but sometimes, a rare and wonderful woman meets a rare and wonderful man. They fall in love, marry, make a family and spread their loving influence down through the generations.

Happy birthday to your steady date, Sush, and congratulations to both of you for modeling excellence throughout your lives.

Marsha @Spots and Wrinkles said...

Wow! I think you have been a blessing to EACH OTHER ! :)

Wonderful post - Marsha

Belle said...

I was touched by your birthday tribute to your husband. He is a wonderful man. Happy Birthday to him. Love the photos, and I think reading to the kids and crying at the table is one of the loveliest things I've heard.

Erin H. said...

I'm not sure if I can blame the pregnancy hormones, but I went through SEVERAL tissues reading this post. What an incredibly sweet and heartfelt post. You truly encapsulated everything wonderful about Steve! Scott has had such an amazing role model as to how to be a great father, and I can't wait to see him with our daughter. Wish we could be there to celebrate. Love you!

yaya said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Wonderful! He earned that title and I can tell it's given with love. I hope you both have a great weekend. Now, for the flying cake..I kicked a plate of pasta, sauce and all against the wall once and threw a head of lettuce once that had me picking lettuce out of the toaster for days. It must be the sign of a great relationship!

Donna said...

What a sweet, sweet tribute to a really fine husband!! You did him justice and it was fun to read! Happy Birthday Mr. Wonderful!!!

Life 101 said...

What a story. Looks like he had a great birthday.
I hope you're doing well too.

The big game is in two days. I'm excited, but it's hard to see how my team could beat your team. They look invincible.

Bonnie said...

Happy Birthday to your wonderful man! What you wrote is absolutely beautiful.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Pat MacKenzie said...

What a lovely life you've had with the man of your dreams. I'm sure he treasures you as much as you do him. A wonderful happy birthday to your Mr. Wonderful.

Holly said...

HI Sush~
This is the most precious post and what a tribute to a wonderful union! You are obviously every bit as wonderful!
Hope it was lovely!

orchid said...

Dearest Sush,
So sorry for my really belated comment for this lovely post.
I was so touched reading all of the story and how wonderful to have your marvelous husband with you all the treasonable life of yours. Oh, your husband looks truly warmhearted, loving man♡♡♡

Blessing for you two and all of your lovely family, xoxo Miyako*

Gawgus things... said...

Oh Sush, this is such a lovely post - I've completely welled up. I hope I'm still talking about my husband in this way after all those years! Happy Birthday Mr Wonderful!

Emma xx

Marsha @Spots and Wrinkles said...

Sush,
My husband and I were havng dinner at Red Lobster this everning and he said when we got home we would watch the "big game."

When he mentioned LSU, I said, "Oh, my blogging friend Sush will probably be at the game, or at least watching it on TV." :)

Cheers to LSU !

Karen Whittal said...

You are truly blessed. Happy birthday Mr Wonderful

Bouncin' Barb said...

I'm a bit late but Happy Birthday to your hubby. He reminds me of someone else. Sounds like we were both blessed with wonderful men who weren't afraid to show love. Beautiful post! Hugs.