Thursday, February 23, 2012

Foodies...This Ones For You

I promised to give the recipes for the appetizers from the Mardi Gras themed engagement party, and I do try to keep my promise if at all possible. Sometimes I get senioritis and forget. 


The first recipe I found on Food Network. It was one from Sunny Anderson. She calls this Bar Nut Palmiers...and this is my adaptation. 


One Box Puff Pastry
Olive oil (used for lightly coating puff pastry sheet)
One lime at room temperature, zested and juiced 
Two tablespoons of the lime juice
All of the lime zest
One teaspoon of chopped fresh rosemary....don't go overboard on this as fresh is strong
1/2 cup shelled and coarse chopped walnuts
1/2 cup shelled and coarse chopped pecans
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper...stick with the one or a little over one if you like a BIG kick
scant teaspoon of salt


Defrost the box of puff pastry sheets...remove one from box while keeping the other chilled.
Lay sheet out on parchment paper and press seams together that may be cracked or loose from when you unrolled it. Brush to coat lightly the pastry sheet with olive oil.


Combine all the remaining ingredients in a food processor. With chopping blade, process the ingredients to a paste consistency for your filling. You want to see the nuts, but you want to be able to spread it. To be honest I made this in three batches and used about one and a half batches per each pastry sheet. But then I didn't want to skimp on the filling.


Spread the filling over the puffed pastry sheet to the edges. Now roll one edge of the sheet towards the middle. Next take the other edge and roll it towards the middle. You want to try and roll them as tightly as you can. You should now have two spirals on one roll.
Wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least four hours, or overnight. You can also freeze the pastry at this point to be defrosted for when you are ready.


When you are ready to bake preheat oven to 375 F. Slice the roll into about 3/4 inch slices and place on parchment lined baking sheets.

I used my silpat liner.
Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until a light golden brown. Repeat above directions for second puff pastry sheet. The puff pastry comes with two sheets per box. I used the Pepperidge Farm brand of puff pastry. You will have approximately 30 palmiers per box.
Serve warm. For the party I baked them ahead of time to a very light brown. I then reheated them at the party to get them to the deeper color. These are a great blend of sweet and spicy, the lime makes for a bright flavor....the cayenne sort of sneaks up at the end of the taste with a kick! I've had friends request these for several occasions.


Next posting I'll give you the recipe for the stuffed and sliced muffaletta appetizers. They are another make ahead recipe!


Loves~Loves~Loves~

14 comments:

Shelly said...

MMMMM...Looks so yummy! I wasn't expecting to anything that looks this good this early in the morning! Thank you for sharing and can't wait to see the others!

Shady Del Knight said...

I scratched and sniffed the screen, Sush, and I swear that I could smell them! (LOL) They look delish and I'll be right over! Have a splendid Thursday, dear friend!

Claudia Moser said...

That is an interesting combination, might try it. Do you think a bit of cheese would fit?

Sush said...

Shelly...They are really easy and something different for a nice change up in the appetizers. Have a great day!

Tom...Morning, Professor! Along with the other nagging problems from blogger, my smell-o-vision is on the fritz...ovens warming though, so no worries! Happy Thursday back to you...

Claudia...Yes, but I wouldn't put it IN the palmier as it might change the texture. As an accompaniment yes, sort of like apple pie and cheddar cheese on the side! Let me know if you try it! Hugs~

kneesandpaws said...

Those look so delicious and artistic too. I love anything pastry and so I'm going to make an attempt!

My family is going to wonder where I find such goodness, then I'm going to boast about you, my lovely friend!

Bossy Betty said...

Yowza, Baby! These are gorgeous and that list of ingredients made me melt!

Ina in Alaska said...

Drooling..... and looking forward to the Muffaletta Apps!!! xo

Ellie said...

Mmmmm yummy. Sound exceedingly good :)

jabblog said...

They look delicious:-)

Belle said...

They look scrumptious, Sush.

Sush said...

Jenny...they really are fun to make, let me know how they are received! Hugs~

Betty...lol the cayenne can make you melt as well! Hope you try them! Hugs~

Ina...Muffs are scheduled for tomorrow! Hugs~

Ellie...They have a flavor of New Orleans so I love them! Hugs~

Janice...The good thing is they taste as good as they look! Hugs~

Sush said...

Belle...I think you may have come in the door to comment as I was exiting my replies. Thanks for stopping in and wait until you see tomorrows! Hugs~

Teresa - in the Middle Side of Life said...

wow - those look so wonderful! i need to think of "engagement party" stuff i guess...

thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

romance-of-roses said...

These really look yummy Sush. Thanks for the recipe. Hugs...Lu