Friday, February 24, 2012

Whoa Muffuletta You'll Want a Lotta

Here's the second of the recipes I prepared for the party. It's a take on the sandwich famous in New Orleans called a muffuletta. There is much discussion as to where the best 'muff' is served but Central Grocery in the French Quarter is the best known. The idea was found on Pinterest, but I changed it a bit to make it more authentic to the real deal. Here's my adaptation:

To turn the sandwich recipe into an appetizer something to bind the ingredients is necessary. I used cream cheese.

Ingredients:
1 long narrow french bread baguette, hollowed
1/2 c of sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
1/2 c salad olives...these are green olives with pimentos, chopped
1/2 c salad giardinara, chopped (include all the ingredients in the jar...even the cauliflower)
1/4 c  kalamata olives, chopped
1/4 c black olives, chopped
1/2 c chopped pickled porcini peppers
1 - 2 cloves garlic, pressed
About 2 tblsp minced fresh Italian style parsley
8 oz salami, diced
8 oz mortadella, diced
8 oz low salt ham, diced
1/2 c provolone cheese, diced
1/2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
8 oz package cream cheese, softened

Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth...add in pressed garlic and blend. Add in provolone and mozzerella cheeses and blend. Add in minced fresh parsley and blend. Stir in all the remaining ingredients...if you have a heavy duty mixer give it a good blend after all the ingredients are added.

Remove both ends of baguette and hollow out the french bread baguette, removing the soft inside, leaving about a 1/2 inch crust all around. With long handled spoon start spooning the mixture in the baguette working from both ends toward the middle. Fill completely, packed tight. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, slice about 1/2 inch thick slices...a bagel knife works well or any serrated knife.


The stuffed baguettes are on the platter on the front right
I doubled the recipe as we were having a large crowd. Enjoy and Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouller...or as we say in N'awlins...Let The Good Times Roll!

Loves~Loves~Loves~



19 comments:

Shelly said...

Another giant YUMMM!!! Those look so good. I'll bet your guests came back for seconds...and thirds....

Really looks delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe, my friend!

Barbara F. said...

Wow, Sush, that is what we would call some big "hoagie" or "sub" here. Yummy. xo

Ellie said...

Another great recipe. It is so nice to learn of new things to eat. I've never heard of anything like this before. Sounds absolutely scrummy though.
Thanks for sharing it

Denise J. Hughes said...

Oh my goodness. You put me to shame. I don't think I've ever made anything with more than a half-dozen ingredients! :)

Belle said...

Beautiful table setting! Looks and sounds delicious. I made spinach dip inside round sour dough bread for Christmas. It is the first time I had ever done this and it turned out great. I looove bread.

Claudia Moser said...

Very creative! And yummy

Chatty Crone said...

I could make these for an Oscar party this weekend. sandie

yaya said...

Yummo! Thanks for sharing the love!

Holly said...

Yum! That looks amazing! Why do I suspect that I could eat the entire baguette worth!?

Holly said...

Sush~ These look and sound heavenly! Wow, what a feast you have!! How many years have you been doing this?
xo
Holly

Sweet Tea said...

I love a good Muffeletto and your rendition looks better than even "the real thing"!! Oh YUM!!

Elizabeth and Kyle @ Love Is the Adventure said...

Oh, my goodness, I have to try this!! I have never had a Muffeletto!

Thanks for sharing the recipe here. I'll be sure to let you know if I get a chance to make it.

orchid said...

Dearest Sush,
Oh, I am so sorry that I have missed your posts a lot!!!
You really are some cook and your guests must have a wonderful time♡♡♡
Love you always, xoxo Miyako*

Elizabeth Hernandez said...

Oh Sush I want to come to your house for these wonderful festivities. Yummy!
Thank you for always stopping by.
Hope you can jump on over and check out my latest blog as I have tagged you in it and would love it if you could join in. It will post up tomorrow.
Blessings

kneesandpaws said...

If come knocking at your door, please feed me!

Marsha @Spots and Wrinkles said...

Sush,
I hope your good times are "rollin', rollin' rollin' on the river." :)

Recipe sounds great!

Crystal Pistol said...

Oh my gosh. YUM! You make food look so appetizing. I really wish I could indulge in that treat right now! I may have to try it on the weekend.

christine donee said...

um. YUM!

karen said...

Oh, I'm late to the party! Thanks for this recipe - I've always wondered how to make these!