Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A-Z Blog Challenge Letter D = Dandelion

When I was a young girl I loved to find dandelions in our yard and make a wish and send those pretty little white wisps floating upwards and onwards to soar with my wishes. They were so dandy and fun to find growing amongst the lush green grass. Time passed and I became a 'landowner', with grass to grow and a yard to manage. The only wishing I'm doing regarding a dandelion lately is they grow in someone else's yard!

I grew up in an area that growing grass was not something that was ever considered a challenge. I swear in New Orleans by the time I had the lawn mower in the shed the grass had grown six more inches. I've moved to a location that according to our local nursery man is just this one little spot in North Carolina that grass does not grow. We seed, we feed, we only grow weeds. Great big dandelions. I would consider perhaps putting down weed killer but then I'm afraid we would be left with just dirt.

Dandelions are not dandy...not anymore. The D in dandelion might go along with another D word...and yes you know just what one I'm thinking of. Those d*%@ dandelions...yessiree Bob or Dan or Sam; someone puhlease come take them away from my yard and put some grass in its stead.

Sigh....maybe I need to find a good recipe for dandelion tea..

15 comments:

jabblog said...

I'm sure dandelion tea is very nice but dandelion wine is wonderful! Blame the local children for blowing their dandelion clocks and sending the seeds hither and yon;-)

Claudia Moser said...

Dandelion tea sounds good!

Shelly said...

Had to chuckle as I was just pulling dandelions and other weeds that seem to sprout up overnight. You have the right attitude...if life gives you dandelions, make dandelion tea!

Shady Del Knight said...

Little girls, and boys come out to play
Bring your dandelions to blow away
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion, blow away dandelion

I looked it up, dear Sush, and it is indeed possible for you to import blocks of sod from Cajun Country thereby solving your lawn problems forever! To me the concept of a weed is a funny thing. Many weeds get beautiful blooms. Gazing at an entire field of them lifts the spirit and warms the heart. And then you sneeze.

I gave you a double dose of Shady today, dear friend, by commenting here and on your previous "C" post. Have a wonderful day, Sushie!

Darlene said...

I've never heard of dandelion tea. Hubby and I tried making dandelion wine.It takes A LOT of dandelions for that! I can't decide if I love or hate them. I love them when I get a beautiful bouquet of them, but hate them when they turn into scraggley stems! Good luck.

Thisisme. said...

I can also remember very clearly blowing those dandelion seeds all over the place when I was a little girl. As we blew, we always used to say, "l o'clock, 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock" etc. etc. Happy times my friend. I'm sorry you have problems in getting grass to grow but, look on the bright side, at least you haven't got to be out there cutting it every five minutes! Hee Hee!

Pat MacKenzie said...

Nice to see you back again Sush. I'm going to enjoy your A-Z challenge. It's beautiful so far.

Herding Cats - Burning Soup said...

Aw. I like the dandelions. It seems it's one of the only things my lawn will grow too. That and clover. (I'm in NC too-wonder if thats why :))

Dandelion tea sounds...interesting.

Anna@ Herding Cats & Burning Soup

Ellie said...

Hi Sush, good to see you back!!!
Dandelions are a real pest aren't they. They get everywhere as well, I can guarantee the only thing that flourishes in our garden are the dandelions.
I do like to take their picture though!!!

Paula Martin said...

I love seeing a field of dandelions - but not in my back yard!

Sweet Tea said...

Who decided Dandelions were a weed???
If we all got together and decided they were flowers your yard would be the envy of everyone!

So glad your back in Blogland!!

Janna said...

My son is so excited about all the dandelions. "Look at all the pretty flowers, Mommy!" I lived in the Sandhills in NC, and the only grass that grew was centipede grass. I longed for the real stuff.

Christine said...

I am not a big fan of dandelions but they are beautiful. If they just didn't multiply by the millions.

Kathi said...

It's so true that some things come easy and some things are hard. Like growing grass for you. Here in Texas as long as the rains come we have nice lawns...

I want to tell you thank you. No one writes sweet and heartfelt comments like YOU. And I sense your sincerity and it is very much felt and appreciated. Bless you Sush.... xoxo

Sarah Pearson said...

*Snort*. You'd hate my back lawn in Summer. It's covered with them. The front lawn is different, I have to keep that nice :-)