Thursday, April 5, 2012

A-Z Blog Challenge Letter E = Easter Eggs

I love everything about Easter Eggs. The boiling, the dipping and dying. I love the smell of vinegar and damp newsprint left from the process. I love watching the various Easter Egg hunts that are broadcast on the television news shows. My most favorite Easter Egg hunts was not for the prizes found but the trouble and humor that came in its aftermath.

They do say it is your earliest memories that last the longest, so perhaps that is why this hunt is somewhat indelible in my mind. My Dad got the idea in his head we would have an Easter Egg hunt in our yard. Nothing new with that concept except he used real eggs. No plastic or marshmallow eggs for my Dad. He used the real thing and didn't count how many he hid. This was back in the day of the 'egg man' who would deliver our eggs in a huge basket. Dad just piled a bunch of eggs in a bowl and went off to do his deed.

Eggs were hidden all around the yard and the child that found the most won a prize. There was no 'golden egg' to be found. Just as many as your basket could hold. My family was a small clan of six kids so it was a lot of chaos and running and bumping each other to grab the found egg first! When we had exhausted all of our efforts and energy, the hunt was over. No, not over so fast....there's more to the story.

Fast forward a few weeks and everyone in our house is noticing a rotten smell somewhere in the house. We all were complaining and searching to find the source. It was a warm Spring so windows were wide open. Ahh ha! It was also letting in the foul air in from outside. It seems there were several eggs not found and they were rotting in the bushes under the windows. They were white and brown by the time we rooted them out. If they ever had been dyed there was nary a bright color  remaining.

That was the first and last Easter Egg hunt I remember my Dad hosting. I think most of the other if not all the other Easter Egg hunts of my childhood were done in an 'off site' location. I can't help but smile every time I prepare for an Easter Egg hunt for my grandchildren. Most of all I remember to use plastic or marshmallow eggs. And I always include at least one golden egg...I prefer them to the rotten ones.

10 comments:

Thisisme. said...

Lovely memories of your childhood Easter Egg hunt there for us today, Sush! Oh dear, your poor dad. He really didn't put much thought into it, did he?! Still, I'm sure all you little ones had great fun. Rotten eggs - such an awful smell!! I can't believe we're five days into this A - Z challenge already, and everyone is really coming up trumps with it. I'm looking forward to our own Easter Egg hunt in the garden at the weekend, with Eli & Ruby.

Sush said...

Diane I think you must have the perfect garden for an Easter Egg hunt...so many lovely treasure spots to hide them! Happy Hiding dear friend!
Hugs~

Shady Del Knight said...

I have memories to match, Sush. My dad was president of the local chapter of Lions Clubs Int'l. I vividly recall the smell of vinegar and dye as dozens upon dozens of eggs were boiled and painted for charity by Lions families in the basement of a restaurant. I also remember only real eggs being used in hunts, although usually the events were conducted in roped off fields rather than back yards.

Shelly said...

That was an eggcellent egg story! I can certainly understand why the rest of the egg hunts were held off site- what a smell that must have been!

Claudia Moser said...

Lovely memories! Happy Easter my dear!

jabblog said...

LOL - never to be forgotten, indeed.

Darlene said...

Oh my! You got more than you bargained for with that egg hunt! Great story. Have a happy Easter.

karen said...

My grandpa used to have Easter egg hunts for all of the grandkids. There was always 1 golden egg and 1 silver egg. Funny, I don't remember the prize, so the fun must have been the hunt itself. I also remember finding old Easter eggs in a forgotten corner of the yard months later, with faded color and covered in snail tracks. Luckily we never broke them open!

Sarah Pearson said...

Heh, that's such a 'Dad' type mistake :-)

td365 said...

What a great story! Reminds me of all the Christmas presents my dad hid and then lost. ;) My daughter is now four and a half, and we're still working the kinks out of our own Easter traditions. This year will be the first we do an Easter hunt. It should be interesting. :)

Love all the wonderful blogs and people the A to Z challenge is connecting me to. So many great stories I'd never have heard otherwise.