Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A - Z Challenge Letter J = Jasmine

Whether it be confederate, star, winter or Carolina to name a few varieties I love the scent and velvety texture of the jasmine blooms. We have confederate jasmine vines growing along our fences and when they are in full bloom the scent is heavenly. In the winter the vines are evergreen so we still have coverage although the heady scent is just a memory.

Jasmine flowers love sunshine and temperate climates. they grow well in moist, well drained sandy loamy soil or clayey garden soil that has been amended. Adding leaf mold to the soil improves the growth of the plants. Lots of watering in the summer is recommended.

We have much to be thankful for in this world and divinely scented blooms are some of my favorites.

I'd type more about the letter J but I'm 'J ust' so very short on time this week!

Pardon Moi!

12 comments:

Shelly said...

Jasmine and gardenia are my two very favorite flower scents. We just put in a new star jasmine- can't wait until it starts its climb up the lattice!

Shady Del Knight said...

We have jasmine on our property, too, and the scent is intoxicating. The bee population is also back up this year which is a good thing. I'll be back for your "K" post so until then, good night and take care, dear Sush!

Sush said...

Ahhh Shelly! To add to all the visual beauty around you, now your senses will be flooded with the wonderful scent of gardenia and jasmine!
I have a gardenia bush on my driveway...makes it lovely to arrive or depart!
Add in the scent of magnolia and we have the south's scented holy trinity!

Sush said...

Tom I am telling you this challenge is more than I ever thought it would be. Just fitting blogging in once a day is more than my life allows at the present. I may have to use the letter K for killing...as in 'this challenge is killing me'!
Thanks for all the lovely comments and I hope you have a bumper crop of jasmine blooms this year!

Crystal Pistol said...

I did the A-Z challenge last year. It was really fun to "meet" new people but quite a commitment.

Jasmine has THE most amazing scent. I have to comment aloud everytime I come across it. It's absolutely divine!

Sush said...

Ahh Crystal...It is just so, 'quite a commitment'! I am enjoying meeting new friends and reading wonderful posts along with my dear familiar friends who are also participating.

I've been reading your blog, but this internet mess makes it hard to do more than read. I will try again to leave a comment but I keep getting kicked out. Sigh...and hugs~

Claudia Moser said...

Love the smell, it is so intense and yet delicate. Nice choice for J

jabblog said...

I love jasmine - and so do the bees. The scent is wonderful when it wafts in on a warm breeze.

EmptyNester said...

Love jasmine- I just planted some yellow jasmine in my new flower garden so it could climb up the pole where I hang the bird feeders!

Janna said...

I miss walking around my old neighborhood and catching whiffs of the jasmine from others yards.

Thisisme. said...

Hi Sush. I've just noticed your reply to Shady, and that is why I didn't embark on this particular Challenge! I honestly didn't think that I would be able to commit to it, AND still keep in touch with all the blogs that I follow, and leave comments for them. I love the smell of Jasmine, and I used to use it a lot as an essential oil when I did my massage work. Keep smiling my friend!!

Chatty Crone said...

Love the smell of jasmine. sandie