Saturday, April 14, 2012

A - Z Challenge Letter M = Michigan

Michigan, land of my ancestors. I have never visited this state which I am hoping to change in the distant future. My Mother was born and raised in Michigan. She did her best as we were growing up in the South to make sure we didn't have a Southern drawl in our speech. At the dinner table I remember her playing a game reminiscent of the scene in My Fair Lady where Professor Higgins is trying to clear the cockney accent from Eliza. We had to keep saying in rounded tones, "How Now Brown Cow", without the trace of a drawl. It worked until we would go outside and play with the neighbors and shout out, "Hey y'all!"


Our nephew is working on a family reunion for not this summer but next. The extended family is now scattered all across the country. We do have many votes for a beach reunion as we are all beach lovers. However we are having a ground swell of votes for going to the land of the great matriarchs birth, Michigan. Mom grew up in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. We have family there, in Ann Arbor and the younger brother of the nephew in charge of the reunion has moved to Michigan within the last few months, not far from Detroit.


We know from family history that the family had a summer home on Mackinac Island. So we are considering perhaps that as a central point and we can all tour around from there. I don't know how it will all turn out but I sure am excited about finally getting a chance to visit the roots of my Mom and her family. I guess I better start practicing my, "How Now Brown Cow" as living in North Carolina for 26 years has done nothing but add to my drawl!



13 comments:

Shelly said...

What a terrific trip to look forward to. You just show them how beautiful all our drawls really are!

Did you mom get back to Michigan much?

Thisisme. said...

Oh you must get back to Michigan where you mum came from ! How wonderful that family reunion will be! I just love a southern drawl! I love listening to Odie on his vlogs. It's difficult for me to realise just how vast your country is, when you look at the size of our tiny little island!

Claudia Moser said...

You should go with your grandchildren, I am sure you will have lots of fun!

kneesandpaws said...

Dear Sush, I am from Michigan and will say with complete truth that I love the southern way of language. Everything about living here sends me into a romantic buzz...the flowers, the friendly folks, the mountains and the ocean. I've always wondered if Elliot will end up speaking southern, as his daddy is from Missouri and his mom from the Great Lake State. So far it's too soon to tell. Mackinaw Island is so beautiful, and if your reunion is there I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience. We are planning to take our vacation on the west side of MI, near Ludington. The air is so cool and fresh up north and sometimes I miss it terribly.

Holly said...

Heheh! I always forget that, to most of my blog readers, I have a REALLY strong New Zealand accent...until I post a vlog and EVERYBODY comments on it! :P

I hope you have a great trip. :)

EmptyNester said...

Isn't it exciting to know that this reunion is in the works?! I love it! My mother's side has one every year in August but my dad's side never does. We're trying to change that- but his extended family is all over the place like yours.

Shady Del Knight said...

If I may cast the swing vote, Sush, I say you should have the reunion in Michigan. You have been to the beach many times but never to the area where your mother was born and raised. Our friend Jenny (K&P) can give you some ideas of places to go and sights to see. Happy Sunday, dear friend!

yaya said...

My son and his family live in Ada..outside of Grand Rapids. They love it and there are many cool beaches to satisfy the beach reunion wanters (I just made that name up!) I say head to Michigan and enjoy all the fun places to explore.

Ellie said...

A family reunion - that sounds like so much fun.
We went to Danny's (hubby) family reunion the year before last.Travelled for 8 hours by car down to England for it. We had a great time. So nice to catch up with people.

karen said...

That sounds like a great trip! And I wouldn't do a thing to your accent. I could listen to a southern drawl ALL.DAY.LONG.

momto8 said...

how fun...and how interesting it will be!! good for you!
I had a lay over once in Michigan...does that count for visiting there?!

susan said...

Michigan it has got to be!! And work on keeping the drawl - accents only add character don't they?

Dana said...

I'm from Upper Michigan but now live in New York. I would love to move back home. :)