Monday, April 16, 2012

A - Z Challenge Letter N = Night Owl

I never know if admitting that I am a true Night Owl puts a label on my personality that might be considered a fault. I am a Night Owl. There. I've put it in print, no taking it back. I was raised by a Night Owl, I don't know if that has anything to do with my proclivity for staying up until the dawn, or it's just a coincidence. I do remember many a night sitting up late with my mom and my sisters solving life's problems or just laughing about the day. I remember when my aunt had come for a visit when I was a young bride and mother. I called my husband at about midnight to inform him I'd be out all night with my family talking. And we did; it's one of my best memories of time spent with siblings, my mom and my aunt.


My husband is a Morning Glory. Yep, you know them, perhaps you are one. They wake up whistling and happy and don't even need a cup of coffee to be running at warp speed. My husband crashes as I am rocketing into the atmosphere of night life. We are ships passing in the night, literally. Somehow we've made it work for more than forty years. I have been known to wake up early for things he wants to view, visit, accomplish...and he has done the same for me...in reverse. He will stay up late to view, visit, accomplish. The fact that neither of us are at our best while putting our not so best foot forward isn't lost but is overlooked in appreciation of the sacrifice.


It isn't that I can't function well during the day. I have raised a family of five children, driven car pools and worked full-time for at least half of my life. I go to morning breakfasts for grandkids and wake up early to travel. I meet my girlfriends most Saturday mornings for 'Girls in the Hood' breakfast. Sunshine isn't debilitating in my life, I'm not quite a vampire. It's just I may not be at my best until about ten a.m. Translates to shouldn't be trusted with dangerous items until about ten a.m..


 There's the difference/rub. Night Owl vs Morning Glory....we each have our place in 'Time'.

13 comments:

Shelly said...

I am such a Morning Glory that I am waking up at the time others are going to sleep. Always have been, probably always will be. I think it's just part of who we are. I go to bed around 11 and wake up between 3:45 and 4, although I always try to stay in bed until 4 so my family won't have to hear me rattling around when it's technically still the middle of the night (as opposed to 4, which to me seems like early morning).

You are a wonderful Night Owl friend, though!

Chatty Crone said...

They saw that opposites attract. sandie

Shady Del Knight said...

I've noticed the late late/early early time stamps on the blog comments you post, dear Sushie. You and I keep similar hours many nights. The problem with me is that I am a hybrid.

Night Owl x Morning Glory = Zombie.

Sush said...

Ah Shelly, I love Morning Glories, I just haven't been able to change my colors. I do enjoy that like Tom you and I are up at the same time...just one awakening as one is getting ready for sleep! You surely don't require many hours of sleep to function!
Hugs~

Sandie...you are so right! We've managed to keep it happy for a while so I'm not fretting.
Hugs~

Tom...I like that...Zombie! I think in all likelihood I'm more a Zombie than Night Owl. You are so clever dear friend...a true wordsmith!
Hugs~

Ellie said...

I'm definately a night time person. I can be tired all day long but by about 11pm I'm wide awake. Strange isn't it. I would love to be able to get up really early in the morning - but just can't.

Sweet Tea said...

I long to be a Morning Glory, but alas, I am a Night Owl too. I only rise early to "give birth or go on vacation". No shame, just a fact.

karen said...

Yes, Sweet Tea - you ARE a night owl!! (We have late furious Words With Friends games - although, being more of a Morning Glory myself, I usually have to wimp out before she does!) So yes - I'm the Morning Glory and my husband is the Night Owl. He doesn't really know his name until about 10am. Used to hurt my feelings when he'd grunt at me in the morning but I've gotten used to it - just like he is used to me snoring before he turns out the light at night.

EmptyNester said...

I used to be a night owl- while raising the lovelies, I HAD to be! Now I'm a morning glory--as long as no one talks to me or sings or whistles until I've been up for at least an hour. LOL Very nice post- love the end!

Bouncin Barb said...

When I first got married I was a "don't talk to me till I have my coffee" person. Rich whistled and sang and would want to chat. He learned when to stay quieter and I learned not to bite his head off. Now I am very much a morning person but I still need my coffee for the energy. Still I wake up and enjoy the beginning of every day. My favorite time. Funny how we change! This was a great post Sush and I'm sorry I've been absent so much. Back to normal soon I hope.

Crystal Pistol said...

You sound just like ME! I also feel a bit shy about admiting my habit of staying up late because people often give me a hard time about it.

My husband is also an early riser. He tries to talk to me first thing in the morning and I have a hard time not biting his head off because he is so darn chipper!! Drives me crazy when I'm groggy.

Fun post. We have a lot in common it seems. :)

Thisisme. said...

Hi Sush! You are I are opposites then. Like your hubby, I am very much a morning glory! Love that time of the day. My husband on the other hand, doesn't come to bed until 2 or 3 a.m. By 10 p.m. I've definitely peaked and off I trot to my little bed! It works ok for us though. I love it that you meet up with your friends on Saturday mornings. That's so important, don't you think? I really enjoyed this post my friend.

Holly said...

I'm definitely a Night Owl, as evidenced by it now being 11pm on a night where I should have been in bed ages ago, so can actually wake up for work in the morning! :P

Denise J. Hughes said...

Oh yes! I'm a total Night Owl. And I'm married to the ultimate Morning Glory as well!

I have accepted that being a Night Owl is part of my internal make-up. The only time I feel I need to apologize for this is when I'm feeling guilty for not "rising before the sun" to pray. I spend time in the Word and praying every day; it's just usually later in the day, that's all. :)

Thanks for a great post!