Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A - Z Challenge Letter O = Oatmeal

Okay so oatmeal is probably not the super star of everyone's menu plan. At my house for a healthy breakfast it is. Baked oatmeal, oatmeal muffins for oats to go and overnight oatmeal are the top breakfast treats in these parts. I love make ahead breakfast food. It helps to have something ready for those early risers...those chipper, whistling Morning Glories.


Honestly, grits used to rule the roost. As in grits and eggs, grits and croakers (those are fish we'd catch early summer mornings) or grillades and grits. My dad's specialty was leftover steak heated in the skillet and served up with grits. Then I started reading about all the healthy benefits of oatmeal and changed this Southern girl's menu plan. Oats it is!


Here is a great recipe for oatmeal muffins to go, I've adapted from a recipe found on the Sugar Free Mom.com blog....


2 eggs
2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
5 cups rolled oats
1 - 2 bananas mashed
2 1/4 cup lowfat milk
1 Tblsp chia seeds
1 cup honey
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 Tblsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tblsp frozen berry combo or fresh berries of your choice
dark chocolate chips, pecans and coconut flakes, unsweetened 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, bananas and berries and honey
Add in oats, salt, baking powder, chia seeds, and cinnamon
Mix well with wet ingredients, add milk and mix again
Fill muffin tins lined with paper liners or spray with no stick spray with batter
Top with dark chocolate chips, pecans and coconut flakes
Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in muffins comes out clean


Serve warm and put any leftovers in freezer bags for take and bake breakfasts during the week.

13 comments:

Donna said...

Sounds really good Sush! It also sounds very healthy!

I've never heard of some of the things you had for breakfast...croakers? That sounds down right adventurous!

Shelly said...

I took my last mbits of oatmeal just before I read your post. It's good stuff (as are grits, every now and then). Love the recipe- going to have to give it a try! Thank you!

Shady Del Knight said...

I made oatmeal a regular part of my diet years ago. I enjoy it with real chunks of apple and banana. Don't forget to drink a cup of green tea with it!

Holly said...

I never used to be an oatmeal eater, but recently I have started having it for breakfast every morning!

Claudia Moser said...

Sounds yummy :)

lyndylou said...

They sound really yummy! And good for you too, what's not to like :)

Dana said...

I love oatmeal. Maybe I'll have some for lunch. :)

Janna said...

I love oats and oatmeal. I try to eat it as healthy as possible, many times with banana and walnuts and just a small drizzle of pure maple syrup. I'll have to try your muffin recipe.

Grits still have a special place for me though.

EmptyNester said...

Yes Please! Oh, wait. You meant for me to make the recipe. LOL

Thisisme. said...

Hi Sush. Can you believe that I've never eaten oatmeal. It certainly sounds good if you eat it with fruit and honey. Mmmm! I presume it's a bit like Porridge - ?

yaya said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm usually eating a hard boiled egg for breakfast but oatmeal sounds better! Good use of the letter O!

ayjay said...

Hooray for oatmeal! I like mine with yogurt, cinnamon and raisins. Yummmm :)
Happy A-Z'ing! Good luck with the last half!
~AJ @ frodofrog.blogspot.com

Janie Junebug said...

I don't like oatmeal, and I've never been able to figure out what a grit is, other than a little bit of dirt or gravel that sneaks its way into one's mouth. I have a protein shake for breakfast.

Love,
Janie Junebug