Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A - Z Challenge Letter P = Pewabic Pottery

Just for the alliteration alone I should get points for this one! It just so happens though that Pewabic Pottery was co-founded by one of my ancestors. My great-grandfather was the man that designed the Revelation Kiln that the artist Mary Chase Perry Stratton used for her special iridescent glazes that are significant of pewabic pottery.


Below is a tile Mary Chase Stratton created entitled 'The Little Blower'. The model was my Great-Aunt when she was three. We have this tile and display it at Christmas! FYI in the brochure they have mistakenly  called her his granddaughter...not so, she was his daughter. 
I have several other tiles and a beautiful trivet (my son and daughter in love) gifted me with the trivet this Christmas! My Mom had a beautiful vase and a small replica of it for years but I think it may have ended up at the bottom of Bayou St John in New Orleans when hurricane Katrina flooded their apartment in the Assisted Living Facility. The vase was actually prettier than this lovely....a current selection:
If you ever get to Detroit, MI do stop in and visit the Pewabic Pottery studio and school. It is a historic landmark and you can see many beautiful past and current creations.
 Sadly, I don't think I've inherited any business or creative savvy from my ancestor and for sure not his talent. One day, maybe if we ever do have that family reunion in Michigan I do hope to see this place.
I've never been so be sure and tell them I sent you...that and $5 bucks might get you a cup of coffee! I'm sure there must be a coffee shop somewhere in there...

12 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

This is an unexpected post, but still love it :)

Shady Del Knight said...

That PP studio and school is a must see and I do hope the reunion is held in Michigan. It's beautiful pottery and so cool that your great-grandfather was instrumental in founding this glazing process and that your Great-Aunt was immortalized on that tile.

Dear Sush, history is being made over on my site today. I invite you to come over help me wish a very special lady a happy 100th birthday. Your words will mean a great deal to her, I'm sure. Thank you, dear friend!

Shelly said...

How interesting, Sush! I know a little bit about pottery, not much, but enough to know that's a great name in pottery. I love the family connection, too. I really do hope you get to go to Michigan and see that special place.

Gosh, I don't drink coffee, but is that how much it costs?

Sush said...

Claudia...I think we both had unexpected posts today...yours was delightful!

Tom...I beat you to it! I've been by the Shady Dell and wished the lovely Ms Margaret Happy Birthday. What an unexpected treasure you found. Lovely post on your blog this AM!

Shelly...I'm not a coffe drinker either, only tea, but I've heard coffee can cost quite a bit in shops these days! I think even if we don't take the younger generation my siblings and I might make a pilgrimage to MI!

Janna said...

Thanks for the introduction to this form of pottery. I took a pottery class for three years when I lived in NC, and absolutely loved it. We would go to the Piedmont Pottery Festival and the Sanford Pottery Festival every year. I just realized how much I miss it.

Darlene said...

This is such an interesting post, Sush. If I'm ever in Michigan, I'll have to look it up!

Thisisme. said...

Hi Sush. Well now, that's a really interesting post for us today, and how wonderful that your ancestor was so involved with designing the KILN for this particular pottery. I must say, you are doing very well with this A - Z Challenge my friend. Hugs.

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

This is an interesting post and I like the history. The colour of the vase it beautiful. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be in the area any time soon... Thanks so much for you lovely comment on my Home post, I really appreciate it. Have a lovely evening xo

karen said...

What beautiful pottery! Even more special because it is your family. What a wonderful legacy!

Chatty Crone said...

Gosh that was interesting and so nice that your family - your past - was involved in it. sandie

Life 101 said...

That's beautiful stuff, and to think ancestors had a hand in it. Neato.

Janie Junebug said...

Beautiful. You must be proud to be part of such an artistic family. And as a writer, you are an artist yourself.

Love,
Janie Junebug