Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A - Z Challenge Letter V = Violin

I have a love for the strains of music that a violin creates. I lay this love for violin music at my father's feet. He played violin when he was young, It seems my GreatGrandmother wanted him to learn so he could accompany her when she played the piano. He did enjoy playing but he was the first to admit he wasn't ever going to be a great violinist. Sadly, when he was a young married man he lost the pad of one of his fingertips when he was changing a flat tire. That was on his hand he needed to finger the strings on his violin. After that he put his love for the violin into listening. Many Sundays or Saturdays we would have the light and airy sounds of violins creating magic in our home. This was the genesis of my love for violins.

My father and I had a love for violins and classical music that we shared throughout our life together. I have a post that illustrates how strong and lovely this connection and our love for violins was. You will find that post here. I hope you enjoy....

9 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Lovely memento and I have a similar relationship with piano, my granny used to play it!

Super Earthling said...

How very nice that you have those memories of your dad's love of music, Sush.

I played violin for a while in high school and my daughter played in grade school--it was nice to have her share my interest :)

Shelly said...

Somehow, violin music makes me feel clean, as if heaven's sweetness were washing over me. I've been thinking that one thing I want to do when I retire is to learn the violin.

I greatly enjoyed the post about you and your dad and your special evening. Thank you for sharing, my friend!

Shady Del Knight said...

Your old post swept me away to that time and place, riverfront New Orleans, summer 1984, and that extraordinary evening spent with your father. I saw it. I smelled it. I I heard the golden notes coming from Itzhak Perlman's violin and I felt what you and your father felt. That's superb writing, Sush. Thank you for sharing that memory.

Darlene said...

What a lovely post about you and your father. I enjoyed tagging along on your date.

Sweet Tea said...

Your Father gave you a gift that will never grow old.
Great story.

karen said...

What a beautiful memory, Sush! I do love the violin - I've always wished I could play it. (I play piano) What I love about it is that you can play beautiful ethereal music with it, and then you can turn around and it becomes a fiddle at a hoedown. Nothing more fun than that! My other favorite instrument (other than a piano) is the French Horn. My son played one for a few years and I came to love it. His teacher was a friend who plays in many movie soundtracks. I can always pick his horn out - so lovely!

Janna said...

Music provides such a wonderful medium for memories. I love violins as well. They always take me by surprise.

Chatty Crone said...

What wonderful memories of music and your father. sandie