Friday, April 20, 2012

A - Z Letter Challenge Letter R = Rain

I love rain. I love rainy days and rainy nights. I don't mind if we have many rainy days in a row. It's not that I don't like sunshine, I do. Rainy days give me a physical release...they seem to purge my soul. If we are in a drought I feel it to my bones...bone dry! I'm not sure if it is because I grew up in a humid climate where afternoon summer rains are common. I often wonder if people in dry arrid areas miss rainy weather.


Memories of rain are filled with comfort for me. Lying on my bed summer afternoons, reading while the rain is pattering outside my window. Looking up from my book and watching the rivulets of water run down the panes...wondering which rivulet will win the race. I've run in the rain, sailed in the rain gone swimming in the rain. Water is my friend.


Cool autumn days at the farm in Georgia, with the rain pinging on my Gramma Bet's tin roof.  The weather was crisp enough for a fire, but not so cold it wasn't fun to slip into a raincoat and wander outside. I loved the look of the rain clouds lying low over her pine trees. Seeing the Georgia red clay mixed with rainwater running down into the ditches on the side of the road. The air was scented with pine and rain...how lovely.


I think my favorite memory of all with rain was the early morning I locked myself out of my house. I don't remember how it happened, just that I was in my nightie and dashed to my Grams' house, one house over from mine. I knocked on her door and she opened it with a look of astonishment, I must have looked like a drowned rat. Quickly she hustled me back to her bedroom where she handed me one of her dry nightgowns and a towel. After I was dry she tucked me into her bed under her down comforter. It was so nice to be fussed over like I was a child again.


Rain, water, life. Happy times.

10 comments:

Shelly said...

You are such a talented writer, Sush. I enjoyed every word of this; the pictures you crafted will have me thinking about glorious rain all day long.

Rain, rain, rain indeed!

Shady Del Knight said...

Rain has the same effect on me, Sush. It cleanses the soul. Some of my happiest memories are of times when I got caught in heavy downpours w/o an umbrella. The moment I realized there was no escape, no way to avoid getting soaked to the skin, I experienced pure joy - a release, a sense of freedom that cannot be duplicated.

Claudia Moser said...

I always say you cannot have green grass without rain

Christine said...

Painy days seem to cause me to slow down and take it easy. I need those kind of days now and then.

Dana said...

I'm with Christine: rainy days make me want to slow down and do the things I enjoy. I love curling up on the couch with a book and some tea or coffee as the rain falls outside. To me, that's a perfect day!

Janie Junebug said...

That's beautifully written, Sush. I like to take a nap when it rains.

Love,
Janie Junebug

yaya said...

I enjoy rain too but my roof is leaking and until it's fixed I'm not so fond of it! But I would love to have a metal roof put on and enjoy the sound of the rain on that...maybe even give a memory to my Grandkiddos of YaYa's metal roof!

Chatty Crone said...

I enjoy rain too - especially in Georgia. Great story. sandie

karen said...

I love the rain - it's very relaxing to me as long as I don't have to be out driving in it. I love that little story about your Gram. Grandmas are the best, aren't they?

Linda Stansbury said...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You are so kind to introduce me to so many wonderful new blogger friends! I am truly overwhelmed... and I certainly don't feel I'm just talking to myself anymore.