Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A - Z Letter Challenge Letter U = Umbrella

'A rose by any other name is still a rose'...and an umbrella by any other name is still an umbrella. I've always been captivated by umbrellas. Silly, I know...but there you have it. I love the names they are called. Parasol, that one evokes strolls along the Champs Elysees in Paris. Gigi sitting in her carriage gazing at all the lovely sights. Thank Heaven For Little Girls and Parasols!

Or how about a Gamp? I've read that's a name used in Great Britain taken from a character in a Charles Dickens novel. My perfect vision of a Brit with an umbrella is Mary Poppins! How lovely it would have been to have her as a nanny! Grab hold of her hand as she opens her umbrella and float amongst the tree tops!

Or a poised and pretty Geisha, twirling her parasol over her shoulder as she gracefully takes her tiny steps. Perhaps she's heading to a tea house for a lovely tea ceremony. Would it be to entertain her fierce Samurai? Planning the light and lyrical notes she might play on her shamisen. Oh the imagery of it all.

Then there's the American name I remember my Grams using. A Bumpershoot. I don't know how many people still use that word but I've always thought it made an umbrella sound sturdier and ready to fight the fiercest of downpours.

Potato/Potahto...Tomato/Tomahto....call it what you will I love umbrellas in all their shapes, colors and sizes! Well then, I did tell you how I love rain, now didn't I?


15 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

I do remember the movie with Gigi, actually this weekend I watched old movies like the Swan with Grace Kelly or Bells are ringing with Judy Holliday, simply love them!

orchid said...

Dearest Sush,
I didn't know the word "Gamp", haha.
And thank you very much for mentioning Japanese old type paper umbrella called "bangasa, 番傘". They are sold mainly as souvenirs or decoration inside the house. Yes, they are so pretty♪

PS> Thank you very much for visiting me. I really am grateful for your sweet comment for my post.

Lots of Love and many Hugs to you, xoxo Miyako*

Shelly said...

I have several umbrellas I keep in various places. I like the "Bumpershooter" because it almost sounds like a superheroe's weapon. As much as I enjoy rain, my favorite place to experience it is listening to it while I'm inside!

Shady Del Knight said...

"Bumpershoot" is how the word was always pronounced in Penna back in the 50s and 60s, Sush. However, according to the dictionary, the word is spelled with a "B" - "bumbershoot." Wiki offers this list of alternate names for an umbrella: (also called a brolly, parapluie, rainshade, sunshade, gamp, bumbershoot, or umbrolly).

One of the most beautiful images in the category of pin-up art is Queen's Rain by Gil Elvgren:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-x459IyU4psQ/TwNnczxCYlI/AAAAAAAAKfc/sZGbO5nVC5g/s1600/1.jpg

Ellie said...

Ah wonderful names for the plain old umbrella - I haven't heard of a gamp or bumpershoot - great names though.
Who would have a thought an umbrella would make such and interesting post. Well done.
Oh and thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog :))

Chatty Crone said...

HAHA - and while it is cool today - at least we don't need an umbrella today. sandie

Francene Stanley said...

I love umbrellas too. I must--I've collected several. I can hardly use them any more with a stick in one hand. Sigh. I guess I'll just look at them.

http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com.

EmptyNester said...

I love rain too! And umbrellas! But not Mary Poppins. When I first saw that movie, at age 7 I think, I told my mom that was the stupidest movie I'd ever seen. LOL

Thisisme. said...

So many different words to describe just one item! We call it brolly mostly, over here in England! I have heard of all those names, but NOT a bumpershoot! Eeeek! Wonder how that word originated. I loved the film Mary Poppins. My two daughters watched it so much, that my mum and I knew it virtually word for word! LOL!! I can't wait until my two youngest grandchildren are old enough to love it as well. Good post my friend.

karen said...

When I was about 3 I had a lavendar dotted swiss Easter dress with a matching parasol. Oh my - I thought I was all that.

Holly said...

Heh! I am another person who had never heard the word "gamp" before!

Christine said...

I've never heard of them called Bumpershoot. That's a new one for me.

KSCollier said...

I love "bumpershoot." Now that's a hardy name for an umbrella. You painted a great picture, and I enjoyed the tour. Thanks.

I'm just A to Z-ing it. Stop on by and say hi sometime.

Sweet Tea said...

Who knew all this about "umbrella's"? Not me.
I can see now that I have totally under-appreciated my unbrella. Perhaps the fact that I buy cheap umbrellas, seldom need one, and when I do need one I have trouble finding it, has something to do with this. Thanks for enlightning me!

Darlene said...

I didn't know there were so many names for umbrella. I always love "parasol" and the images that went with it. I also loved "Mary Poppins". But, my kids all thought it was a dumb movie. So sad.