Thursday, May 3, 2012

I Will Remember You.....

I have been blessed with a friendship that has enriched my life and made me a happier, better person. My friend has been one of a very select few touchstones in my life. My life was forever changed and to the best when Laura and I became friends. It will now be forever changed and leave a huge hole in my heart now that she is gone. Most people who spent any time with Laura ended up feeling the same way.


Laura and I met the summer we moved to our new neighborhood. Laura and her dear husband Mike's home is around the corner from us. Our children went to the same schools, played together and we all went to the neighborhood swim club. I first learned of the wonders of Holden Beach from Laura. At her urging we took our first vacation on those golden shores. It was the first of many and many spent with Laura and her wonderful family. Her two delightful children were close in age to two of mine. Laughter and sand and sunshine were a big part of our intertwined lives.
Laura was fully responsible for me working in Admissions at NCSU. What was a friendship born out of our neighborhood and children grew deeper with our love for the Admissions department. Laura worked there since 1966. By the time she left due to her illness she was Senior Associate Director of Admissions. The Admissions Department dedicated a bench near the university Bell Tower to her. She was given the honor of Chancellor of the Day by NCSU. They would have been wise to have her serve as Chancellor long before...and for years, not one day.
The last time I was able to spend quality time with Laura was at the baby shower we gave for her niece, Jamie. It was a fun afternoon and it was wonderful to see Laura enjoying herself and laughing and spending time with family and friends. Above is a picture of Laura and her beloved daughter Jen and Laura's friend/sister-in-law Jeannette and her daughter Jamie. Mothers and daughters...aunts and nieces...can't you see their love?
I have been blessed to live in a neighborhood that has a unique atmosphere of community and friendship. Many lovely and kind people live here. From this larger group of friends a smaller nucleus grew. I've introduced you to these lovely ladies before. We throw parties for friends, their children and the brides to be and babies to be. We go to dinner with each other to celebrate birthdays. We go to breakfast on Saturday mornings when at all possible to catch up on the news from the week. 


Laura has always been central in this group. Yesterday we lost our dear friend to her battle with cancer. She fought a valiant and gracious fight. Our special group is forever changed and we mourn her loss and celebrate her life. 


Laura, my dear, kind and loving friend...I honor you, I miss you and I will always, always 'Remember You'.

26 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

I am so sorry for your loss ... Sending you strenght my dear!

Shady Del Knight said...

I'm very sorry that you are suffering a loss of this magnitude, dear Sush. Through your eloquent words and accompanying pictures I feel as if I also knew and loved Laura. The world cannot afford to lose outstanding people like her. My thoughts and prayers go out to you as well as to Laura's family and her many friends.

Shelly said...

I am so sorry, my friend, for your loss. And although I didn't know Laura in person, it sounds like the world is a richer place for her having been here, and a poorer place now that she's left.

Big hugs to you!

Jen F. said...

I am so grateful for the wonderful group of friends that my mom had in the neighborhood. It is an incredible blessing to have a group of women who laugh together and love one another so fully - it's what allows you to love each other so well when the tough times come and the tears fall. I just LOVE that picture of the 6 of you - what a special memory of many meals shared together.

Love to you and all my QH mamas.

Sush said...

Jen F...Well tears again, but what was so very wonderful about your Momma was the love I was witness to that she had for her children...and grandchildren...Hugs and Love...

Claudia, Tom and Shelly...she was all that I wrote and more. Mere words would never do this amazing woman justice. Thanks for your comforting thoughts.

Bouncin Barb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bouncin Barb said...

Oh Sush I'm so sorry for your loss. This post was a wonderful tribute to her and shows how blessed you all were to have her in your circle. My best friend and I are friends for 45 years now and it just makes me realize that I need to chat with her more often and hug her harder when I see her. Gain some comfort that she's no longer suffering and is now smiling when she looks over your shoulder at what you wrote!! Big hugs!

Steadfast Ahoy! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steadfast Ahoy! said...

Dear Sush, My BFF died two years ago August. Like Laura, she was a linchpin in our circle of friends. Her fight with cancer lasted seven years! What we all learned over the course of that long battle was that friends are forever. Friends stand in the gap, hold hands, give their strength, and love, and joy, and share the grief too. Even though my friend Lesley and your friend Laura have left us to finish our battles, they leave us surrounded by circles of friends that have been taught how to be loving supports because of them. We will never forget or cease to appreciate the love our friends have given us to build on in their absence. Blessings as you move forward in the footsteps of your good friend.

Dana said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

This is a beautiful tribute. Many hugs.

Ina in Alaska said...

I extend my most heartfelt sympathy to Laura's family and big circle of friends. It is so hard to lose a loved friend, mother, daughter, sister, wife. So very sorry... xo

Ellie said...

Oh Sush, I am so sorry for the loss of your good friend. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman.
Sending you lots of hugs.

laurie said...

what a beautiful post, you honored her well, lovely tribute, its so sad to lose our friends, but she will always stay in your heart,

yaya said...

Sush, I'm really sorry that you lost such a dear friend. I hate the word "cancer"..I hate the disease...I hate that we have to lose those that fight so hard and that we love so much. I hope you can find peace in the wonderful memories of Laura and how she touched your life. My best friend Donna is fighting her battle now and it's a hard battle, but we will continue with this fight, hopefully to a day of wellness. I'll keep you in my prayers tonight.

Sweet Tea said...

I am both happy and sad for you.
Happy for the wonderful sisterhood you enjoyed with your friend, and sad for the pain of such a loss. ((HUGS))

Thisisme. said...

Dear Sush, I was so very sorry to read this post, and to hear of your sad loss. It truly is dreadful when we lose a close friend like this, and Laura has been a part of your life for so long. She does sound like a very special lady, and it is so sad that she is now no longer with you all. The only thing you can hold on to is that she is now at peace, and free from all pain and suffering. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and with all Laura's family at this sad time for you all. Hugs to you dear friend. I have lost several friends through this truly terrible disease. I hate the word as well. Two years ago, I lost my best friend, so my heart really does go out to you. x

Holly said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, she sounds like a wonderful person.

Life 101 said...

I can tell you first hand, it's tough losing a friend.
Sorry.

orchid said...

Dearest Sush,
I am so sorry to hear the sad news for you, her family and all of the people who know her. How wonderful your neighbors must be!
And I am prod of your dear friend Laura who fought a valiant and gracious fight like my mother did.

My heart goes to you, too. Miyako*

Ann said...

This is sad...
At least you have lots of memories with her. Lots of nice moments together.

Kathi said...

So sorry to hear that you lost a dear friend. So nice that you shared some of her life with us. Words of comfort escape me... but I understand your grief and the grief of her family and friends. I'm sure your memories are sweet and will always be cherished. Sending love and great big hug...

kneesandpaws said...

Dear Sush,
I am deeply moved by the story of your friendship and so saddened to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you and with your family, who are such loving examples of humankind's best of the best. I'm so glad that you have friends and neighbors who love one another like family. Sending hugs and love your way.

Raindrops and Daisies said...

What a lovely tribute to your lovely friend.

I am so glad that you had one another even for a short while

Thinking of you.

Big hugs

x

karen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Laura. Friends like that don't come along every day, and I know you'll miss her. I believe they're never far away, and I like to think that you have one extra angel watching over you now.

Darlene said...

Dear Sush,
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend. You wrote a wonderful tribute.

Glenda said...

Sush, I'm so sorry you lost your dear friend. What an inspiration she must have been to those around her as she battled this dreadful disease. It must be a comfort to know that she's no longer in pain and is enjoying her new life with those that have passed before her.