Saturday, January 26, 2013

It's So Nice To Come Home To

Let me preface this post with this: for 24 years we lived very well with the avocado green master shower...tiny as it was, ugly green as it was, we were content. That we turned the shower stall into a storage unit when the drain started leaking water into the family room was of no major consequence, simply a temporary solution that lasted for perhaps at least a decade.

Really, that is the truth. Raising five children that we needed to feed, educate and entertain, a classy, sassy and spiffy master bathroom was just not high on the list of wants or even needs. To some it may not ring true, but really we just were too busy having fun to worry about or with a new bathroom.

Speed forward to 3 years ago when we had the famous deluge from  tropical storm Ida, that sent water cascading down the wall of our master bedroom and continued descending to  the downstairs family room walls and fireplace. That was somewhat documented here. With the help of Service Masters the damage was hauled away. Repairs  to the walls of the bedroom and family room were made by my handy dandy personal Jack of All Tradesman husband and our lovely children. The bedroom wall was repaired, but the room basically remained the same. As for the avocado green bathroom...we still were in no rush to spiff it up.  We did however, renovate the family room. The fireplace was refaced and built-ins installed. Those of you who have been following our family story may remember we've had a few grandchildren and weddings during that time. Priorities!

Then lo and behold our lovely daughter graduated from college with a degree in Architecture Design and was hired by the very same firm she had interned for. A well respected kitchen and bath design firm. Our lovely daughter was itching to turn the avocado green behemoth into a lovely retreat. We put our heads together and came up with what is now our dreamy new en suite retreat. Elise drew up the plans, and sketched the design. Elise was my contractor. She contacted the tile company and basically ordered everything. The tile installation company came with her recommendation. She designed the cabinets and ordered them. The carpenter was one that works with the company Elise works for. I was the check writer. The plumber was via Elise; she brought me to the quarry where I selected the marble for the counter tops. Fun Field Trip for the mother and daughter!

Our son Scott is not an electrician by profession, nor my husband. Put the two together and you have a wonder duo of electrical geniuses. Scott drove down from D.C. where he was residing at the time. He and my husband rewired all the lighting and heating in the bathroom. They were up in the attic crawling across beams and fishing wire down walls. Genius and athletic!

Our oldest son, Steve, spent the good portion of a day demolishing the vanities in the master bath. He was wielding that sledge hammer like Thor! I think a lot of pent up frustration must have been released that day!

Daniel drove down from Virginia with his truck, after breaking out the avocado green tile he helped haul the demo materials to the dump. He and my husband spent an afternoon removing debris from the upstairs and removing all the extraneous 'junque'!

Tim, is the family's very own resident master plumber...not by profession. Later, you will see him installing some fancy equipment he sells. No torch required to weld pipes. Really Cool stuff, literally. He made sure all the plumbing was ready before the tile setting was done. The installation of new  hook ups were left to a licensed plumber.

The children all have gravitated to one or more areas of expertise after years of helping their Dad with home renovations. My husband has been in the construction field in one capacity or another all his adult life. He started as a carpenter's helper in high school and graduated from LSU with a degree in Construction Engineering. Highly talented and qualified if I do say so myself!

I will try and put the pictures in some kind of order so they make a normal progression of the remodel. I really am way beyond tickled with how it all came out. The master bedroom is how I imagined it...a calm and relaxing retreat...a touch of chinoiserie ( I adore cobalt blue) and simplicity in our surroundings. The en suite (yes, I watch a lot of HGTV) and with the remodel it deserves a new title...is beyond what I imagined. I think it has a sort of old world European feel to it, with some contemporary touches to give it some pizazz! 

I wish to once again express my gratitude to my family for making a dream come true. Thank you my children, those by birth and those by marriage. Once again, my daughters-in-love, with busy lives of their own, shared their husbands time and talents to help us move along in the renovation. To the love of my life, thank you for all the changes and trips to return items and travel to High Point for furniture shopping. You are the sunshine of my life.

I love you one and all!

So to make a long post longer...enjoy the photo montage~

First we had to repair the walls upstairs 
And the walls in the family room downstairs
The family room had built in cabinets added and an overhaul of the fireplace
Ta-Daa!
My husband installed crown molding and removed the old yucky carpet  and painted the walls for the first go round. OH YES I DID...a woman's got a right to change her mind!




And then the walls were repainted. The yellow was lovely in daylight, but at night it was all...WHOA, all Burning Ball of YELLOW!!! With a great deal of frustration but aiming to please we and it was we repainted the room.

The master bedroom closet had built- ins installed by my favorite live in master carpenter! (Notice the wall is now a lovely shade of grey called French Silver. My French heritage must have been calling~
Remnants of avocado green in the water closet area...French Silver is gaining!
While we were putting in new faucets etc in the master bath we decided to upgrade the shower faucets etc in the bathroom on the other side of the shower wall. Son Tim was our handy dandy go to man for the  job. Peter and Trey were loving the peephole to watch Uncle Tim while working...




Hey, where'd he go?
Boxes of cabinets arrived for the vanity area...
The day of the install I put on my nurse's hat as the installer had a serious accident. Not a story for the squeamish. Glad daughter that faints at the sight of blood was not around. Moving on...

 Progress! His...
And Hers

Hers~

And His~

Enlarged shower is turning into something special~ 
A bench seat is created...


That all important nook for shampoo, cream rinse and other shower goodies!
Now we're talking~
Frameless glass door~
Funny story about the shower head. After watching HGTV way more often than normal people probably do, I learned that it is better to raise the shower head higher than what we had them in the '50's, '60's, 70's, etc. This shower head would make Shaquille O'Neil happy. I, on the other hand need a stool to use the different settings on the shower head. Perhaps I should have rethought that idea. Hope a very tall family buys the house when we ever sell it.
So now I have a Cinderella shower...really!  Lily calls it the Princess shower! So to complete the fairy tale...
Every Princess needs her sparkling crown...
Mirrors and lighting...

Marble floor makes the bathroom complete from tip to toe!
The bedroom is the serene retreat I was hoping for. 

So there you have it!  A French Silver and marble retreat! Looks pretty good...n'est-ce pas?

With much toil and many hours of hard labor, the eye of a great designer, we are back in our own room. 
As the saying goes, "Ain't nobody happy if Mama ain't happy."

Mama's happy~

14 comments:

Jennifer Hoppins said...

What a lot of hard work and sacrifice! But it looks absolutely beautiful. I loved my first peek of your french silver walls (was that something you posted on fb?) that I chose a similar shade when I repainted/decorated Emily's room. It's called arctic stone. The first day after it looked baby blue and I almost died! But then, after my eyes adjusted to the change and I rehung some deep pink curtains, it's the calming, soothing, powdery gray I hoped for. Paint is a tricky thing. We are still in the middle of our home renovations after a flooded kitchen from a broken dishwasher hose and a cat who engaged in a pissing contest with the dog. Wood floors are finally down! Love you Sush! Enjoy your princess bathroom!

Rosemary Nickerson said...

C'est Magnifique! Tres bien, Madame. Yes, I think some things are worth waiting for and this one is even more special--all the kids who kept the project at bay during their growing up years, came home to help build it. What a great gift for Mum.
Rosemary

Shelly said...

Oh, how completely gorgeous! I know it must have been chaos and disruption for a while, but oh, so worth it now.

What an ultra talented family you have- that makes it even more special. I loved the kids watching through the peep hole!

Your home is all set for years of enjoyment, family times, and daily refreshment for you and your husband, exactly what a house should be.

We are beginning to plan our own renovations, so I'll be rereading your post from time to time to remind myself there is a beautiful light at the end of the tunnel!

xo-

yaya said...

I think HGTV has a new thing going where you send it pics about your home..this would qualify as a great up grade..what a super job your family (and you!) accomplished! I'm very jealous...our bed and bath need redone also! I love your choice of colors and the marble looks so chic and clean and sleek...love it! Enjoy!

Kathi said...

Oh I love it! That was such fun to read and look at the pictures! I'm sure you are enjoying your new gorgeous upgrades! Phew! What a project. Beautiful!

Shady Del Knight said...

I'm flabbergasted, Sush! (I also have a touch of carpal tunnel from scrolling down the page! LOL) No kidding, the transformation of these rooms amazes me. How happy you must be and proud that every member of the family was involved in some aspect of the project. Elise dropped back into the end zone and completed a 100 yard touchdown pass when she designed the bath and served as contractor. It spared you the anxiety that comes from working with a stranger. I love the aesthetically pleasing neutral color scheme and materials used throughout. Your master bath and bedroom are the epitome of tasteful, understated elegance. Your happiness is mine, dear Sush!

thisisme said...

Hi Sush. My, that new bathroom certainly does look gorgeous. I can just imagine how you were thrilled by the finished product. The bedroom also looks fantastic. Well done to Elise and all your family for bringing it all together so beautifully.

Sweet Tea said...

I love it when a Fairy Tale really does come true!! It.Is.Gorgeous.
And it's extra special because your daughter designed it and the family all had a hand in it!! Loved seeing the photos, Sush!! You've practically got a NEW HOUSE!!

Claudia Moser said...

Mama has good reason to be happy, what a wonderful family you have!

Marsha @Spots and Wrinkles said...

Sush, You have returned to us in stellar form! And so is your master retreat now in stellar form. WHAT a wonderful remodel.

Good for you! Happy retreating! :)

Lyndylou said...

Your bathroom is stunning! And I love your bedroom...so worth the wait I think x

Empty Nester said...

LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE!!!! So pretty! We are using our daughter with the degree in architecture and interior design to deal with our master bathroom---the one that we're about to fall through the floor in. All of the lovelies have learned a lot about home repairs from helping their dad through the years too. They're better at some things than their husband/boyfriends. They can also maintain their own cars and either repair them or identify the problem so they won't be taken advantage of should they need a mechanic. Every time the husband thinks he didn't contribute much to the lovelies' upbringing, I remind him of these things and he smiles. Isn't it great when the family gets together to bring a project together? That's another great thing about your lovely master suite---all the memories you'll cherish of having everyone chip in to make it so!

Sush said...

Hi Friends,
Thanks for all the kind comments. I have been a bit off again. My husband had eye surgery and we've been in and out with Dr appts and he had to lie down on the flat for several days, only allowed up for 15 min an hour. I'm thrilled you all like what we did and as my sister said, thank goodness for the timing as he had a nice spot for his recuperation.
Thanks again~

Rick Watson said...

Wow, that's some job but looks great.
We're thinking about adding a room onto our house. We had a builder come by this week for an estimate.
We'll see how it goes.