Monday, April 15, 2013

Photo Dump Part II

Again, life is continuing to be filled with family activity and what nots...I like what nots, don't you? I'll continue to attempt to place the pictures in some semblance of order; no guarantees. 

We went up to the Washington DC area last fall to visit with our kids, Scott and Erin and our precious little Grace. My sister Patsy and her husband were heading there for a tour of the area. Allan is head of his department at the college where he works and he often takes groups of students from abroad to 'view' our nation's political world in action. Patsy wondered if we would be able to meet them and spend time together. Are you kidding me??? I jumped at the opportunity to visit both my sister and brother-in-law and our children and granddaughter in one fell swoop!

We toured George Washington's homestead, Mt Vernon. It was in October and a brisk wind was whipping up from the Potomac River. All I can say is I'm glad we have insulated homes and central heat and air! The view was fantastic, I just wonder if generations from now people will ponder how we 'survived' living in the conditions we are now 'surviving' through.

For your viewing pleasure and my family's recording of family events...first up, Mt Vernon!























We had breakfast at a restaurant owned and operated by a family friend's friend. Confusing enough? I do recommend it if you are ever in the Arlington area of DC and craving New Orleans cuisine. He's won several awards for his restaurant and I can attest to the authenticity and flavor! The name is Bayou Bakery the owner and chef is David Guas. David's beignets are fantastic, although all I have to show for you is the powdered sugar remains...!
Another evening Steve and I took the subway into DC to meet up with Patsy and Allan for dinner. We had a wonderful time reminiscing and laughing over old times and memories. All too  soon it was time to head back home. Happily we knew soon Scott and Erin and Grace would be moving down to us! Goodbyes were not quite as sad as they had been...

Elise had her 25th birthday...I can't believe my baby is that 'young'! Lily and Elise had a viewing of Cinderella and of course the tiara was a required item for any Princess.

Her brothers always make her giggle...my Mom always used to call her 'Gigglepuss' and rightly so. I love the sound of Elise's laugh...
Trey and Peter hunted in pumpkin patches...

Lily, her Mom, Lisa and her other 'Grammy', Beth and I went for a 'Ladies Tea' at the Tea Shoppe. It was so much fun watching Lily try on hats and 'glubs' and beads. She had her own 'tea', pink lemonade in a pretty pink tea pot. We had delightful sandwiches and pastries and even some...wait for it...'Devon' cream!






 Lily had a marvelous time adding to her tea, I think it ended up a combination of lemonade, cream, pepper and sugar, with maybe a touch of salt before we were finished!



It was the most delightful day, one I look forward to replicating again with all of the granddaughters! Truly if you have the opportunity to do this with someone young and full of fancy I highly recommend a ladies 'Tea'!

Halloween gave us the opportunity to see a Native American Indian Princess...

Trick or Treaters at our door included 'The Man' and 'Curious George' the sons of a dear friend's daughter...


Trey and Peter sent photos of their costumes as did Lily and Grace...



More photo dump to come but I'll give your eyes and bum a rest for now!
Many hugs and always,

Loves~Loves~Loves~

18 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hugs and loves to you, my night owl friend! I remember visiting Mount Vernon in the 50s and early 60s when I was in scouting. We also toured Washington, D.C. and saw all the landmarks and points of interest. Your grands are adorable and I am always amazed how much they've grown between posts. Happy 25th birthday to the lovely Elise!

Dear Sush, I have a favor to ask. This Thursday, April 18, is a very important day on my blog. You were there last year for this special occasion and I hope you will mark your calendar and drop by again this year. This is your chance to make someone very happy with just a few kind words. It will mean a lot to me, dear friend. Thank you and good night!

Sush said...

Tom, of course I will be there! Looking forward to it!
Hugs and thank you for being such a dear friend!

Claudia Moser said...

I find the blue sky amazing in your pictures! And your family is so adorable :)

Sush said...

Thanks Claudia, I can't wait to see and hear all about China. I often hear that other parts of the world smell and 'breathe' differently. Fill us in on your take of everything China! How wonderful for you! Be safe and have a grand time!
Hugs~

Kathi said...

Looks like such good times. I like the tea party pics! Lily looks wonderful in pearls! :-)

Shelly said...

Lovely, lovely times, and lovely, lovely pictures. We need to bask in goodness like this as a reminder in these dark times. Thank you for sharing your beautiful family with us~

Marsha @Spots and Wrinkles said...

Sush,
We also visited Mt. Vernon a few years ago and really enjoyed it. thanks for sharing all your great pictures with us.

Sush said...

Kathi~It was so much fun and yes I love she chose the pearls! Hugs~

Shelly~The best way we can defeat evil is to keep living good and Godly lives. LIfe IS good! Hugs~

Marsha~I was amazed at the natural beauty all around in Mt Vernon, but so glad we have advanced to at least having the kitchens in the home...Hugs~

thisisme said...

Hallo there you! Always good to see a post from you pop up.that little pumpkin at the end - simply adorable!! Simply loved the photos of Lily all dressed up in her finery! Precious family photos of very happy times. How lovely to meet up with your sister as well. I'm an only child and I would so like to have a sister!! Blessings to you dear Sush.

Janie Junebug said...

When we lived in the D.C. area, I learned that Mount Vernon was open on Christmas Day, when they showcased what Christmas would have been like for the Washington family. It was so interesting.

Love,
Janie

Sush said...

Diane...what would we do without our little ones? Makes life so rewarding! I showed my husband Ruby's reading video last night and he got the biggest kick out of it! My sisters are my touchstones...Hugs~

Janie...!!!!Yay good to see you here! I keep having trouble signing on to your blog. I'll keep trying! Am I 'allowed'? I would have loved to see it decorated for Christmas. Truly a very lovely home but can you imagine how cold it must have been...yikes! Oh and big Hugs for stopping in!

yaya said...

I absolutely love the D.C area. We used to go quite often when the kids were young. So much to see and I know we still have a ton to visit someday! Thanks for the fun pix of your family. The kiddos are really cute and I love the fall and Halloween so it was great to take a peek at how you celebrated! Looking forward to seeing more! Oh, the tea looked fun too!

Sush said...

Kathy...My first time ever going was with the sister in the picture at Mt Vernon w/her husband and 4 kids and I with my husband and 5 kids! We drove up for 'the day' and we kept calling out the window to each other as we first spied all the official DC monuments etc! I felt like I was dreaming!
Love looking at your kiddos as well...families are just so rewarding...if not a tad messy! LOL!
Loves~

Ellie said...

Oh it looks like you have been having a great time with your family. Your grandchildren are so lovely.
Many thanks for your kind comments regarding our new wee grandson Riley. He is just a wee bundle of joy and it takes me right back 23 years when our Laura was born. :))

Sush said...

Ellie...I can't wait to hear all about your life with Riley! He is so beautiful...Laura will be a wonderful Mum, as she's got such a loving example in you!
Again congrats and much love~

Empty Nester said...

The Bestie and I are heading up to DC this summer. She has a friend up that way and DD2 lives in DC so we're going to visit. I have been to Mt Vernon but not in YEARS! Your photos brought back memories. Good ones, of course. :) I'm so glad they're moving your way! I know it'll be so good to have them close!

Ellie said...

Hi again Sush, many thanks for your lovely comment on my post recently. I am back home again after a week staying with with Laura, Kev and Riley. Had a lovely (if tiring) time there. I am already missing them all and my baby cuddles.

Jennifer Hoppins said...

Dear Sush, your photos are wonderful, and I'm so happy to learn of the place where they serve authentic New Orleans cuisine. My friend Cae misses it so much that she's thinking of opening up her own coffee shop here in Greensboro. I might have to make a trip with her. Thank you for visiting my blog today and for the truly wonderful comment. It helped bring up a long lost memory that is now happily bouncing around in my heart. Love to you today and every day, dear Sush!