Monday, June 10, 2013

Baby Love

My last post I mentioned our daughter-in-love that was expecting soon. It was much sooner than we all knew! Tuesday, June 4 Laura and our son Daniel welcomed to the world our two newest grandchildren! Abigail Elizabeth and George James. I guess those wee ones just didn't want to wait one more second to meet their wonderful parents face to face!

Laura had her weekly Dr appointment that Tuesday afternoon. While there it was discovered she had developed preeclampsia and was sent to the hospital for tests. After tests and time passed it was determined for Laura's health she needed to have the babies that night! Though tiny, they are mighty! Abby was born first and weighed 5lbs 2.1 oz and George was born two minutes later weighing in at  4 lbs 5.9oz.! Laura's hard work and diligence while pregnant with the babies payed off.

Everyone is doing well, Mom recovering from her C-section...those sweet babies go a long way to help that along. Babies are gaining weight and will be in the NICU for a bit longer. Somewhere between ten days to two weeks is the time frame the Dr's are thinking. 

I hopped in my car the next afternoon they were born. I had a few things to take care of first, like getting the T-dap inoculation I had been putting off, and making sure I left the house with food in the fridge for those left behind. I'm not saying I was speeding to make my way to the hospital, but then again, I'm not saying I wasn't! Whaat??? Smokies never saw me...!

Daniel did his first turn at what is called Kangaroo Time or Skin to Skin...this was taken the morning after the babies were born! I was first told it was probably George, but that's our newest Daddy and his sweet Abby.
Laura was given the okay to see the babies and hold them for the first time the evening I arrived. What a precious and beautiful moment...
They do make a happy couple...
As they had been in the isolettes there wasn't a lot of holding time allowed. As preemies they are only allowed out of the warmth of the isolettes for a few times each day. I was blessed with the opportunity to hold Abby one day and feed her...walking on air for hours after that special moment. This photo was taken on another day. Abby's feeding tube and IV were removed! I have smallish hands so you are able to get and idea of how little these sweet babies are! When I say small hands we are not talking like that old Burger King commercial where the hands are freakishly small...hahaha! Just girly small!

The night we were leaving I was able to hold and feed George...be still my heart! 

This is a picture of Pop holding George his namesake for the first time! He is in Pop heaven...that's a look I'm familiar with!
Some close ups of the precious ones without all the tubes and IV's. I'm happy to report as of this post, Abby is out of the isolette and has graduated to the baby tub/bassinet we all see in hospitals. George and Abby both are now tube free...no feeding tubes or IV's. Abby is being monitored for jaundice-she's borderline; George's levels so far are good.

This is our handsome George!
Beautiful Abby...

I had a hard time at first telling them apart, they of course are not identical but they do resemble one another. Abby's hair is just a shade darker blonde than George's flaxen hair. And their noses and chins are a bit different! Of course up close you can tell because Abby is bigger than George, but a quick glance it's hard to know! Thank goodness their other Gramma has knitted them some caps with pom pom tassels  one blue and green one pink and purple. Will be very handy in the months to come!

Daniel is keeping close tabs on the twins...he looks from one to another with such tenderness...


I do believe these two will be busy bees with the two sweet bebes in their arms! Here they are having Kangaroo time two by two!
And this last picture says it all...Momma in love!

I am so blessed and happy...Momma is recovering well and now home. The babies are progressing well and may be able to move up to the next step the Progressive Level of the NICU! This is indeed a time of celebration and gratefulness and always...

Loves~Loves~Loves~
*Post update: Abby was having a hard time maintaining her body temp so for now she's back in the isolette. I am so thankful they are in the very capable hands of the NICU staff and Drs. Prayers always appreciated...

17 comments:

Kathi said...

Awesome. Wonderful. Congratulations!! :-). Happy for all of you!

Shady Del Knight said...

Oh, dear God, Sush! Abigail Elizabeth and George James are precious little bundles and I'm so happy to know they are progressing through the stages of premie development with very few problems. They are absolutely adorable and I have tears in my eyes just looking at these pictures. I can almost feel what it's like to hold them and smell them and hear them breathing. I pray everything continues to go smoothly for mother and her babies. Keep us posted, dear friend!

Barbara F. said...

Congratulations on the birth of twin grands! They are so precious. Glad they are doing well and will soon be home. xo

Janie Junebug said...

Oh, what beautiful angels. I have already said a prayer of thanks. I'm so happy for your family.

Love,
Janie

Laura said...

Aww this is such a sweet post! Thank you!!! I am SO glad that you could come up that Wednesday and meet the tiniest Hoffman's :) We all love you so very much and can not wait to have you come back for more snuggles!

yaya said...

Congrats to you and your son and his lovely wife! Those babies are adorable! I had a preemie 37yrs ago and he weighed 2# and now is a Dad of 4..so if he could do that good that long ago, yours should really soar with all the new technology. We couldn't even hold or feed my son for almost a month or more...I love that "kangaroo time"! Great pics and such a happy family! Congrats again and prayers will go out for Abby.

Rick Watson said...

Double the pleasure, double the fun :) Congratulations.

Shelly said...

Beautiful! Adorable! Gorgeous! I am praying they are released soon. Can't wait to see more pictures!

jabblog said...

Many congratulations to everyone involved. I hope the babies continue to make good progress and can soon go home.

Jan said...

Congratulations to the entire family! What an abundance of blessings. Prayers all around that both kidlets will be home soon. My daughter has 2 year old twins - Jack and Caitlin. You guys are in for SO much fun! -- Jan

Katie Clooney said...

Aww.. gorgeous little babies... and I LOVE their names. Their Mama looks GREAT!!!! You are so lucky to have them in your family. Enjoy every minute!!

Belle said...

Congratulations to everyone! Beautiful babies! This is such a happy time in a family. God bless.

Sush said...

Thank you everyone for your sweet and thoughtful remarks about the newest grand babies. They are still in the NICU but doing well. All your prayers and kind words are very much appreciated and needed.

Welcome to my newest followers...thanks for joining our wonderful blog fest!
Loves to all~
Sush

Jennifer Hoppins said...

I am so happy for all of you! Those babies are so beautiful; too angelic for words. Lifting them up in prayer! I love the Kangaroo time photos. What miracles!

karen said...

Beautiful, beautiful babies! How sweet their parents look while holding them. I just love pictures of daddies with their babies. You must be in grandma heaven yourself being surrounded with all of that. Best wishes to the lucky parents and each little one.

thisisme said...

Hi my friend. I wrote a long comment via my phone and I see it hasn't appeared. Grrr! Beautiful, happy photos and you know just how happy and excited I am for you at the arrival of these little miracles into your family. My second daughter was a little premmie, and we called her that for years!! I hope little Abigail and George are continuing to make good progress so that mummy and daddy will soon be able to take them home ! Hugs my friend.

Terra said...

These twins are lovely, and I see so much love in the eyes of the mom and day. What a blessing you could hold them.