Monday, September 30, 2013

Some Day When I'm Old and Gray...



Face it, I'm a romantic! I love a wonderful love story. I've had this secret tale that I've been wanting to tell, but I had to wait for it all to unfold. Our one and only daughter, Elise, met her 'once in a lifetime love' this last year. We knew they were planning on getting married. We'd even had the meeting requesting our permission and blessing on asking for Elise's hand in marriage. All parties involved...that would consist of our 'future son-in-love', my husband and date for the last forty-one years and moi, worked very, very hard to not let Elise know the most romantic day of her life was coming!

Our annual vacation at Holden Beach was planned for after Labor Day this year. With a new job, my date for the last forty one years had to accrue vacation time by working a particular sum of weeks before he acquired enough hours for vacation. Thus the late summer holiday. Sadly, this meant that our oldest son and wife and their two children, Trey and Peter were not able to join us this year. School had started and didn't allow for traveling to and from the beach. Everyone else was able to spend at least part of the week with us, basking in the lovely rays of sunshine at our favorite beach.

Probably you see where this is going...beach...boy/girl in love...engagement not yet complete. Yes! Dave, Elise's now fiance, put his plan in action at the beach. He enlisted the help of Grace's parents, Scott and Erin. If you scan back to here* you will see some of last summer's vacation and how Grace and her family had taken lovely pictures of Grace and family at sunset on the beach. Planning ahead, Dave asked Scott and Erin to take pictures while he was proposing to Elise. Only catch was Elise couldn't know what they were doing as the proposal was all a surprise. These things are never easy are they? 

Erin and Scott hatched a plan, they told everyone they'd like to eat early the second evening we were at the beach. They wanted to take Grace down to the beach around sunset for her beach photos just like last year! That evening, off go the family of three, camera and baby in hand. A short while  later Dave suggested to Elise they take a walk on the beach. Strolling past Erin, Scott and Grace busily taking beach pictures the young couple walk out to the water. 

I must say, those of us in the house were impressed. During the day, Dave had confided to Elise's brothers what he had planned for the evening. We all had a front row seat to their magical moment. This young man has moxie as far as I'm concerned. He was thoughtful enough to propose on his love's family vacation and to do it all where we could see it unfold! The photos speak for themselves. The video is quite touching. I have you as a captive audience so you might as well see it all. This blog as I so often remind you, dear readers, is also a 'memory keeper' for my family.










 And now for the video. The video is fun because you can see Erin trying to snap the photos of the proposal while trying not to intrude on the moment. I think kudos to Scott and Erin are due as they were very unobtrusive and scored in the photo/video department! I feel I need to add that Dave says the wiping of his eyes he does at the very end of the video was due to sand that had blown in his eyes...umm hmmm...

video



It was a very special vacation this year; memories for a lifetime...to be enjoyed when everyone is 'old and gray' and feeling that glow...of the way she looked that night.

We've had a very busy, fun and love filled summer and fall. I'll do my best to bring you up to speed soon...and share other fun memories from our Holden Beach Summer of 2013, another bathroom reno and the twins Baptism. Until then...

Hugs and
Loves~Loves~Loves~

18 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

What a brilliant plan, well done :) and sooooo romantic!

Shady Del Knight said...

Hello, dear Sush! My post might have induced laughter but I'm all verklempt after reading this one of yours. My eyes are filled with tears after witnessing these precious moments between Dave and Elise captured by the cameras for all eternity. Just seeing Elise jumping up and down with glee makes me so happy I could burst. By now I feel like I know her and all your family members and I myself was giddy with excitement and anticipation as I read how Dave and the others orchestrated his proposal on the beach.

You wrote:

<< It was a very special vacation this year; memories for a lifetime...to be enjoyed when everyone is 'old and gray' and feeling that glow...of the way she looked that night. >>

Some day, when I'm awfully low,
When the world is cold,
I will feel a glow just thinking of you
And the way you look tonight.

Yes you're lovely, with your smile so warm
And your cheeks so soft,
There is nothing for me but to love you,
And the way you look tonight.

With each word your tenderness grows,
Tearing my fear apart
And that laugh that wrinkles your nose,
It touches my foolish heart.

Lovely, never, ever change.
Keep that breathless charm.
Won't you please arrange it ?
Cause I love you, just the way you look tonight.

Congratulations to Dave and Elise. I wish them all the happiness in the world!

Sush said...

Claudia...thanks so much, it really was romantic and lovely to behold!

Tom...the words do really express the moment do't they. Need more songs like this one don't we?
A question for you both and all my followers. My family on ipads and iphones say they can't see the video - is anyone having that problem on laptops or desktops? It appears on my macbook, but not on my iPhone. Just wondering and if anyone knows how to remedy the problem without going to utube? Thanks~

Marsha Young said...

My goodness, now THAT is a proposal to remember! Congratulations to the young people and the whole family on making such a wonderful memory together.

Bouncin Barb said...

That was just amazing. It all played out so well. I wish the newly engaged lovelies much happiness. Does he know what a great family he's getting? XX

Janie Junebug said...

That is so sweet. How thoughtful to include the family.

Love,
Janie

Sush said...

Marsha...thank you it was amazing. His future brothers- in- law were impressed!

BB...I think we are getting the better end of the deal...he's getting crazies! LOL!!!

Janie...I was really impressed he was willing to let us in on his big moment and very thankful! Hope you are doing well...long time no see. All my fault I've sort of been off the blog radar!

thisisme said...

Happy, happy, happy! Congratulations to Elise and Dave. What a thoughtful and great guy Dave sounds, and you all had a front row seat. It doesn't get much better than that. Erin did so well in capturing the photos. I could see the video perfectly well on my laptop. What a loving family you have Sush - all so exciting, and you know what all this means in a few years time, don't you?! Yes, more adorable little bebes for you to cuddle! Hee Hee! Aren't you the lucky one. Sending blessings your way my friend.

Lyndylou said...

Congratulations to them both and how romantic was THAT?!!! Swoon swoon, now that is how it's done!

A lovely blog post which made me smile and made my day xxx

Lyndylou said...

Oh and the video played just fine x

Kathi said...

How wonderful you could all be part of their engagement. Shows how important family is to your daughter's future husband and how much he respects you all! I think she got a winner.... and visa versa!!

Sush said...

Diane...it was a lovely memory, and I do look ahead and see a whole lot of fun little feet in my future!

Lynne...was very romantic and a delight to behold! Just hope he knows what he's getting into with our crazy family!

Kathi...Yes, family is very important to him, it's obvious in the love he has for his own and we are blessed it is spilling over to ours!

Shelly said...

Oh, I have a big lump in my throat! Utterly, stunningly beautiful! I wish a lifetime of love and happiness to them!

Sush said...

Shelly...thank you...it's my wish as well! Big Hugs~

Weekend-Windup said...

It was so nice and romatic

Empty Nester said...

How sweet! I hope that they are always as happy and in love as they are now when it is fresh and new. That they always remember this moment and cherish it. Congrats!

Jennifer Hoppins said...

That is such a happy story, complete with pictures of a beautiful moment that will stay in their hearts forever. I wish happiness and love to all of you!

Sush said...

WeekendWindup...It really was romantic...thanks!

Pam...HELP...you've done this before...send me tips! I also hope they are always as happy and in love as they are now!

Jenny...Thank you so much...happiness and love goes a long way on the road of marriage! Hugs~