Wednesday, October 9, 2013

That Day...


I don't know how long in a Mother's life of having a daughter it takes before you start thinking of the day she becomes a bride. I do know through the years we have talked about it and all the fun and special things we would do leading up to her wedding and to making her wedding day hers! We had what will probably be one of my best memories, always special in our hearts this past weekend. It was the day Elise found her wedding dress and veil.

It wasn't the first day we had been searching. There was a dress she fell in love with, and really looked beautiful on her. It was very stylish and fashionable...but it was the first attempt at finding 'the dress' so I suggested we go to at least one or two more places so she would know in her heart she had found her dress...the one she dreamed of for so long. The one all little girls think about as they are growing up, imagining their Cinderella and Prince Charming day.

Saturday, we headed out to another bridal shop. Mother and daughter...enjoying spending time with each other and wondering what we would find. I know Elise well enough to know she knows what she likes and what she doesn't in most everything. Without a doubt when it comes to her clothes she knows what she knows. I hardly shop for clothes for her by myself anymore. Probably, I haven't done it since she was five...she knows what she knows and I threw up my hands long ago in trying to get it right. 

With this in my memory bank I let her browse the racks of dresses and select to her heart's content. A few may have caused a wrinkle of my nose...at least that's what she observed. Those were left hanging on the rack. I did try not to wrinkle I promise! I was raised with a tape that remains to this day playing in my head...there is a difference between fashion and good taste. Can't make it stop and some of the 'fashionable' dresses are quite lacking in the good taste department! She had quite the pile of dresses by the time she was done perusing. 

The young lady assigned to be our attendant directed us back to a dressing room adjacent to a large room with mirrors and platforms. Elise chose the first dress she wanted to try on...it was beautiful. When she walked out to the larger room and onto the platform everyone else in the room grew silent. She looked beautiful. Elise got a smile on her face and did the twisty turny, swishy thing all women do when looking at all angles of themselves in a special dress. The attendant fluffed up all the special parts and all in the room smiled. With a Mona Lisa smile Elise got down from the platform and tried on the remaining dresses. All were beautiful, I kept quiet trying so hard not to influence her decision. My Mother had been wonderful all throughout the planning of my wedding and the selections I made. She kept telling me, 'I had my day as a bride...this is your day...you decide'. I've tried to remember that every time one of my children was planning a wedding. Groom or bride, I've wanted them to have what they want not their parents.

Elise told me her plan to make her final decision. She had found a dress similar to the one from the other shop that had been her first selection; not the same but very similar. So she put the two favorites on back to back trying them both on to make a selection. Finally we asked for a veil or veils to try on with her favorite at this shop. When they placed it on her she got a rosy glow on her face, her hands flew involuntarily to her face and she burst into tears! 'I've found it! This is my wedding dress!' And with that I burst into tears and said, 'Oh honey, don't cry!' and we both were in tears. Happy tears...joyful tears. Cinderella moment! Everyone in the room was teary eyed and in agreement she was breathtaking. 

Needless to say, as I was not only feeling like her Mother but Cinderella's fairy godmother by that time...no other shops were necessary. We've ordered the dress and veil and have a memory for the two of us that will be cherished for our lifetimes. I make no mention of what her wedding ensemble looks like. You do understand, I'm sure. Have no fear, we will be sharing when her big day arrives...until then many hugs and much...

Loves~Loves~Loves~


15 comments:

thisisme said...

Dear Sush, I have to say that your posts always fill my heart with joy, thinking of your loving family and all the grandchildren and bebes! This post was no exception. What a special time, just mum and daughter, picking out a wedding dress. Your description was so good, that I really felt that I was right behind you in that shop, my eyes filling with tears, and clapping and smiling along with everyone else. I'm sure all the build up to the wedding is going to be so exciting for you, after that wonderful beach proposal! Sending love to you and thank you so much for your comments about Kelly and on my latest post. Hugs~hugs~hugs!

Shady Del Knight said...

Oh Sush, now you have me crying again! I share your joy, dear friend. That scenario plays in my mind like a scene from a romantic date movie. It surely was the perfect mother-daughter moment and comes right on the heels of that magic moment on the beach you showed us in your previous post.

I can only imagine the Miley Cyrus and Dita Von Teese inspired bridal fashions that are available to young women these days, and I know it was hard for you to bite your tongue, keep your body language and breath sounds under control and allow Elise to choose. I'm certain that she picked a winner and I can't wait to see it.

Blessings, hugs and smooches to you, to Elise and to your whole family, dear friend!

Ellie said...

Oh my goodness Sush, reading your post brought a huge lump to my throat. I can only imagine the pleasure you had shopping for that special dress. A memory to keep forever. None of my girls are getting married yet but I look forward to the big shopping day :))
Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog - it is nice to be back.
By the way, when it Elise's big day?

Kathi said...

I love your kind consideration of your daughter's decision as she searches for the perfect dress... with you by her side! Wanting it to be all about HER! You are such a wise mamma! What a special day to share together!

Jennifer Hoppins said...

What a beautiful moment to remember forever! I know exactly what you mean about a daughter "knowing what she knows!"
Love to you, my kind and supportive friend... who understands more about relationships with daughters than any one I know!

Sush said...

Diane...I'm going to be reaching out for your wise advice as you've been down this road before!

Tom...You had me chuckling out loud at the Miley Cyrus and Dita Von Teese! Some of the dresses were quite 'interesting'!

Ellie...It's so wonderful to have you back on the blog roll and to see your comments! The big day is May 24, 2014...to quote Diane...Eeeek!

Kathi...the wedding dress search was a wonderful and fun time. I had a wise Momma for a role model! I think you are pretty special in the Mom department yourself dear one!

Jenny..LOL, you got that part...knowing what she knows! When they have reached that moment it's best to leave it right where it lays, lol! (Probably a southern idiom there just for you, lol!) Growing up with four sisters and a Mom gave me some practice and insight in working with my female relatives! Hugs~

Claudia Moser said...

Such a wonderful story, you are an amazing mother

Sush said...

Claudia...thanks...I have moments...and then I have not so great moments, lol! Hugs~

Bouncin Barb said...

That has to be at the top of the Best Mother and Daughter story ever. How sweet and special for you both. Now I can't wait for the wedding! Hugs xx

Sush said...

Barbara...after four sons, it was fun to be doing the bride's part...yay!

Rick Watson said...

That had to be a special day.
R

yaya said...

Not having a daughter, I envy your day! I remember going with my Mom to try on dresses..taking home all the favorite things I liked and putting them together and having my Mom design make my dress for me. I'll treasure it always, although it's more modest than most wedding dresses out there today! I can't wait to see your daughter on the special day! Congrats!

Pat MacKenzie said...

What a truly special moment you and your daughter shared. It brought tears to my eyes as I recalled shopping for wedding dresses for my five daughters. Some things don't require photos to be locked in our memories forever.

Marsha Young said...

Sush,
What a wonderful day of making special memories. Thank you for sharing. We will all look forward to the "unveiling." :)

Rosemary Nickerson said...

I got goose bumps reading this post. When will the wedding be? Probably soon now. I hope it is all you have envisioned in loveliness.